Avatar for kenyadee
iVillage Member
Registered: 03-26-2003
Thu, 03-18-2010 - 9:39pm

Where do you begin to get a child tested for ADHD? What are the tests like? How is a diagnosis reached and how definite is it?

I've also seen auditory processing disorder mentioned here? Can the same physician diagnose that? How similar are they?


My son struggles to stay on task, although he can do it. For instance, the teachers tell me he can focus on tests, but for classwork he does not. He is also immature for his age.


iVillage Member
Registered: 06-10-2007
In reply to: kenyadee
Thu, 03-18-2010 - 11:31pm

HI, and welcome!

To have an evaluation done for ADHD you would need to get a referral to a Neuropsychologist from your Ped/Dr. A regular Psychologist can do an eval, but a Pediatrician cannot. The testing should include IQ testing, observations, conversations with parents, Bloodwork is a possibility, Ekg's are a must if meds are an option. There are several differnt types of ADHD , and Co morbids also, so a thorough Evaluation is a must.

An Audiologist can test for Auditory Processing and hearing disorders.

Does he show signs at home, church or other places than school?

A child may HAVE ADHD, but it is not what they ARE. Never tell a child they ARE ADHD.