What would you do

iVillage Member
Registered: 12-15-2011
What would you do
Thu, 12-15-2011 - 1:12pm

hello, I am new here and actually waiting for a diagnosis.....I took my son (12 yrs) to his pediatrician two weeks ago with the connors assessment all filled out by myself and my husband and one filled out by the team of teachers from his school.

Avatar for Cmmelissa
iVillage Member
Registered: 11-13-2008
Fri, 12-16-2011 - 1:05pm
Welcome to the board, hotr. I would probably ask the pediatrician for a referrel to a psychologist or pediatric neurologist that specializes in diagnosing ADHD. A pediatrician really should not be making the diagnosis, especially just based on assessments. You want to make sure that you have a complete diagnosis, since other disorders can be playing a role. For example, my oldest is ADHD inattentive and also ODD (oppositional defiant disorder). It can take several weeks to reach a diagnosis, but I know it's hard to wait. At least you have the winter break coming up. What behaviors does your son exhibit that makes you think he has ADHD?

iVillage Member
Registered: 04-19-2008
Mon, 12-19-2011 - 10:09am

Hi, and welcome. I have been absent due to family stuff, and illness....

Anyway, a Connors assessment is not a diagnosis maker. He would need a Pychologist to diagnose, and a Psych if he did in fact need meds.

The Connors is pretty much a 1,2 or 3 score, so it is added up. Takes minutes literally. I would call, and

iVillage Member
Registered: 12-15-2011
Wed, 12-21-2011 - 6:00am

Thank you both of you for your responses.

Avatar for sabrtooth
iVillage Member
Registered: 12-03-1999
Thu, 12-22-2011 - 12:56am
Your son is 12 years old. He now has emotional issues involved with puberty, and needs to overcome 12 years of maladaptive behavior. He NEEDS a full medical and psychiatric workup with a qualified pediatric neurologist or psychiatrist. That is someone who can diagnose and treat BOTH medical and mental conditions. Neither a pediatrician nor a psychologist can do that. And a pediatrician is the medical person LEAST able to correctly prescribe and titrate psychiatric medications, except, perhaps, for your veterinarian.
You have waited 12 years to get treatment. Rushing a diagnosis without a proper workup, and obtaining treatment from someone LEAST likely to understand everything involved in emotional and psychiatric disorders, is WORSE than doing nothing. And even with the correct diagnoses, medication, and counseling, treatment is complex, time-consuming, and rarely a simple, straight path. You are NOT going to be able to just toss a pill in his mouth and Halleluiah, success.
iVillage Member
Registered: 05-02-2004
Thu, 12-22-2011 - 3:18pm
Things that I would do...read all I can about ADHD. I really liked the book "Healing ADHD" by Dr. Amen, which I was able to get from the library. Read stuff on teaching to different genders too, like "The Trouble With Boys" so that you can advocate for your son. (And honestly, as a woman, I didn't know all the differences, and they do make a difference with my sons!)

Look up stuff that may mimic ADHD (google "50 conditions that mimic ADHD") so that you can rule out other medical issues that need to be treated differently (like low blood sugar, lazy eye and other things.) This information will help you and the psychologist make the correct diagnosis.

If you don't already have a healthy diet, start one. Limit or get rid of sugar and artificial dyes. Change the snacks to vegetables and or meat, instead of chips and cookies. Keep a food diary to see if there is a link between anything that he is eating and behavior. Again, very helpful when you go in. If you have people in your family with food allergies or sensitivities like gluten, dairy, etc, see about getting him checked too.

So yes, you probably need what the doctor says to move on to the next step, but there is lots you can do to rule out other factors right now. And, if you are into alternative therapy, and it is not invasive (or lots of herbals - they are drugs too) go ahead and try them and see if they help if you don't mind spending the money. Research them some on the web first so you know what you are doing, but stuff like hypnotherapy is not going to hurt anything, and if he thinks it will help, it just may (but may be limited time span.)