Electrical/Fire/Battery Saftey Issues?

iVillage Member
Registered: 03-31-2003
Electrical/Fire/Battery Saftey Issues?
2
Mon, 06-09-2003 - 1:08pm
Do any have problems with your AS children always stripping wires, taking things apart, trying to puncture batteries, etc? My DS is 9 and he is always doing something that could potentially burn our house down or injure him very badly! I don't know what to do! He feels I am over-reacting and does not seem to grasp the seriousness of his "crimes". Now he knows enough to try to hide the evidence of what he is doing. Once he stripped the wires of a toy, then plugged it in. Yesterday he was putting flammable liquid on a hot lighbulb of a lamp that was in his room!

Any ideas? thoughts? commisseration?

Thanks! I love reading here - but don't get to post that often!

Sandra

iVillage Member
Registered: 03-26-2003
Mon, 06-09-2003 - 4:56pm
Oh yeah, been there. Ayla used to mix 'potions' using whatever she could find around the house. She was our first kid in need of a little (understatement) extra supervision. She once poured a can of Pepsi into an open box of Tide detergent......DON'T try this at home folks! It created a noxious cloud of poisonous vapor. She wasn't hurt very badly because she was so short (3yo) and the vapor was very 'hot' and rose quickly. But DH spent the night in the hospital after puling her out of the laundry room. He has the unfortunateness of being 6' tall and when he heard her scream he went into the room in a fully upright possition and got a lung full of the stuff. He was okay in the long run. He coughed badly for a few weeks and suffered chronic headaches for a little over a month. He says he's been through worse though.

Other than locking everything up and never taking your eyes off him I think it may take your ds actually getting zapped a few times for him to realize that you aren't kidding when you say this stuff is dangerous. But you could try giving him some lessons on electricity too. I know, you don't want to encourage him, but it sounds like he's going to play with this stuff whether you want him too or not. A project my mom did with my older sister (she was a fire nut) to show her that electricity is no laughing matter was to make an electro magnet out of a D cell battery, a nail, and some copper wire. It's a simple project. All you do is wrap a long strand of copper wire around a regular old uncoated nail and attach the ends of the wire to the poleends on the battery. use thermal gloves though. The wire heats up VERY fast. The nail becomes a weak magnet. Explain how the electricily flows through the wire and adds a polerized charge to the nail (possitve) so that it can attract anything with a possitive charge (iron). This is also a great oppertunity to explain radiation since that is what makes electricity both useful and dangerous. You can look the word radiation up in the dictionary together or go online and research it at one of the numberous kid's science sites. If he's aleady computer savy you might have him do it himself while you watch.

You can also enlist the help of his teachers at school. They may have some great ideas for driving the point home. But at the very least it will help him to hear the same thing from several different people when your talking about dangerous actions. Plus, an Aspie's obsession can be tunred into a a very possitive thing, not only for him, but for others. When I point this out to parents I usually pose the question "What would have happened if Einstein's mom had kept him away from numbers just because he was obsessed with them?" I know, not the same thing. Numbers can't hurt you like electricity can. But I'm sure Thomas Eddison got zapped more than a few times.

Other than that, I guess I would suggest duct tape. Cover the wires, the outlets, the plugs.....his hands, LOL, j/k.

Peace,

Candes

Peace,
Candes  
Avatar for maresgood
iVillage Member
Registered: 03-27-2003
Mon, 06-09-2003 - 8:38pm
Hi, funny that you mention this because my 10 yr. old dd (A.S.) is definately a fire bug. She loves lighting candles then blowing them out. She loves the fireplace & will sit for hours trying to keep the wood burning. She is into fire in a big way & it scares me. She esp. likes the automatic BIC lighter & wants to use this for whatever reason. I hope she never burns the house down!!!- MaryAnn