To Seek Dx or Wait&See?
Find a Conversation
|Fri, 07-09-2010 - 12:04am|
I visited this board once, over a year ago when I was just beginning to realize that my ds is 'different.' Now ds is 5yrs old, starting kindergarten in the fall and I have some choices to make. After my stepmother, who is the biggest "you just don't parent right" person in the world! asked if I have ever thought that ds might have Asperger's I figured it was time to talk to the doc about what has been obvious to me for years now. After doing so, the ped feels that ds shows signs of ADHD, a slight sensory disorder and touches of Asperger's. He gave me the name of a dr to contact re testing.
My question and quandary is in trying to decide whether or not to pursue a dx now, or wait and see if his kindergarten experience turns into "please put your child on medication." I have a 15 yr cousin with ADHD and medication has helped him to a degree, but I am reticent to start it before trying other things. The dr warned me that if ds was given a dx of ADHD, the question of whether or not to medicate will come up faster than if he gets a dx of PDD-NOS or Asperger's. My son is so very hypersocial I think the dr testing him may overlook other traits that are not part of ADHD in the formal sense. I'm not anti-medication, but I do want him to have the diagnosis to best help him to love school and the world he inhabits, not one that will address only part of his challenges.
I suppose I'm afraid a dx now may hurt him more than help, though I want him to have the proper tools going forward and I think those will only come with the benefit of a dx, or else he'll just end up being the problem kid in time-out all day.
Ugh. If anyone made it this far, wdyt? Test or wait?
Jody with Griffin, the sweetest maniac in the world!