We have an autism eval today at 2:00...

iVillage Member
We have an autism eval today at 2:00...
Mon, 10-20-2003 - 12:46pm

at the Children's Hospital. We've been on the waiting list since June. This is our second eval. Her first was 4 years ago when she was 3. The clinical psych looked at me and said "This kid doesn't have autism! WHY are you HERE?" We're probably looking at an Asperger's or HFA diagnosis. Anyway, prayers and positive thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Nicke

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-20-2003 - 2:01pm
It's 2:01 by my computer and I am think of you both and sending positive vibes your way.

Let us know how it goes.

-Paula

-Paula

visit my blog at www.onesickmother.com
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-20-2003 - 3:56pm
I'll be keeping you guys in my prayers today adn sending lots of possitive vibes!
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-21-2003 - 1:23pm
Thanks for the well-wishes. Her diagnosis was PDD-NOS. After five years, we finally have a diagnosis and a plan of action. I'm relieved and overwhelmed at the same time.
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-21-2003 - 3:54pm
Nicke,

Well, you are in the right place! Stick around for awhile,

I can't say I know how you feel, because we have not had a diagnosis yet, but I do know that this group is a great bunch of people, and can help you through the adjustment and beyond.

-Paula

-Paula

visit my blog at www.onesickmother.com
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-21-2003 - 4:43pm

Congratulations and hugs at the same time! It took the drs 7 years to get a clue with Jade. Autism had been brought up numerous times but no one had actually been willing to give her a specified dx b/c of how some of her comorbods were interfering with the evals. When we finally got an dx it was HFA, and even though they flip flopped around the specifications for another year and a half (HFA, then AS, then back to HFA) it was still very relieving to have that official PDD under our belts.

It was also very scarey. We had a direction we could look in, yes, but when we really started looking down that dimly lit path we saw lots of sorrow and shadows and pitfalls potentially awaiting her. But DH likes to say that I threw away the flaslight the dx gave me and I built myself a dragon light (that's the light used on movie sets to simulate bright daylight inside wearhouse studios, lol) Actually, I feel more like I got together with others and we are using all our flashlights together. Safety in numbers.

Well, Sweety, it's gonna be a strange path, but if we walk it together we might get each other around a few of those potholes.

Peace,
Candes

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-21-2003 - 5:05pm

I agree "Congrats and Hugs" both at the same time!! I can relate to the 'relief' yet the uncertainty that you get when the dr tells you the diagnosis. Tim was treated for ADHD from birth to age 8 just about. we KNEW something wasn't quite right and even though adhd isn't a typical thing, He was more than even typical adhd!

I cried, and smiled in the car ride the 100 miles home that day that we had the final appointment with the

diagnosis mentioned. I kept looking over to Tim and thinking "Wow, It's not me, It's not unrully misbehavior by him, he's not 'Weird' l,ike other kids think".. etc etc. etc.

I may not be on this board as often as Candes or others, but I've been here since the beginning and I do check in often. No one's post ever goes unanswered (even if there aren't any easy answers, someone still will be there for you).. so don't hesitate to get online and talk our ears off about anything thats going on.

Rebecca rlmaxwell99@hotmail.com

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-22-2003 - 12:36am

Hmmm. I always have a hard time with this. Is it congratulations or gee I am sorry. At anyrate both to ya or what ever you need right now.

I remember the feeling well. Both times it was a long time coming but still the words rang in my ears.

Photobucket