Social programs by state

iVillage Member
Registered: 09-25-2005
Social programs by state
Wed, 03-28-2007 - 5:59pm


My 2-year-old daughter has special needs (Cornelia de Lange Syndrome), and is currently in Early Intervention as well as receiving speech and occupational therapy. In our state, all kids in Early Intervention get Medicaid as a secondary insurance automatically if they have private insurance, or as a

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
iVillage Member
Registered: 11-23-2003
Fri, 03-30-2007 - 11:03am
I'm sorry that I can't help much, I can just give you my experience. I have 2 HOH (hard of hearing) children, one that has several other medical issues. In MA I was able to get some help from state health insurance for a short time for my dd that has health issues but then they canceled on me. They said I made too much money. In PA my children automatically go on state health care with a note from the dr saying they have a disability. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
iVillage Member
Registered: 03-31-2007
Sat, 03-31-2007 - 5:48pm
i think it varies from state to state. indiana has a program called first steps that does st, pt, and ot. they go by your income and even if you make a ton of money the copay is small. my daughter is in speech and we've had to pay $22 so far and she's been it for six months. i know indiana does not have aprogram that you get medicaid if you are in first steps, it goes by your income here
iVillage Member
Registered: 05-23-2006
Wed, 04-11-2007 - 9:50am

In Wisconsin there are different programs based on the extent of the disability and income. There is an income based program and then there is another program that gives the medicare coverage as a secondary insurance. The child qualifies for Katie Becket program if they have a certain level of disability. Very nice and helpful program. We are going through the application process now. The co-pay for our birth to three program is set by income no matter how many services you receive (speech, pt, ot 3 times a week or 1 time a month = same cost). The disability-based program will cover the birth-to-3 costs if we qualify ($100+/month). Our primary insurance does not cover hearing aids, and our CHARGE Syndrome baby needs them. Hopefully we qualify for the disability based help.

I would search on the state you are moving to birth to 3 program or medicare to see what they have. Each state is different.

iVillage Member
Registered: 04-05-2007
Wed, 04-11-2007 - 1:12pm

Also vist the local Social Security office and see if Audrey will quilfay for SSI. If she does then she will automatically be covered under one of the 50 different medicaid systems as well as possiably recive a small check to help off set the costs of things and items that medicaid will not cover. Also I would vist and find the state that you are moving to and vist thier DPHH site and see what they have in way of helping special needs children. But I would try the SSI thing first becasue then no matter what she will be covered and she can NEVER lose the specialized medicaid that they will place her on. Hope this helps


Mama to my Spina Bifida girl Sierra
and my almost 5 year old boy Dakoa