Things have been rough (long)

iVillage Member
Registered: 08-20-2004
Things have been rough (long)
4
Tue, 03-20-2007 - 11:38am

Hi ladies!! I was just checking all my boards and saw the post asking about me. Thank you, btw, it's nice to know I've been missed!! We had a horrible last couple of weeks but things are looking up!


On March 8th late at night Faith started whinning like she didn't feel good. She had thrown up and (I suspect) aspirated some and her 02 saturation levels dropped so I had to put her on a tiny bit of oxygen. She came back up and I let her stay on the 02 all night. On the 9th she woke up and was dropping again so we played the "increase the 02, bring sats up...wait....drop sats again, increase 02, come up again, wait...drop...etc" game. She was at full blast with her 02 (5liters) and wasn't coming up out of the low 80's/high 70's. I took her respiratory rate and it was 65, she was warm, and weezing some. I KNEW she had pneumonia again...we've been through it too many times lately that now I can tell! I called her ped. told his wife (nurse) what her sats were, her heartrate (130's....her norm is in the 60's/70's), her respiratory rate, temp. etc. I told her that I knew she had pneumonia and I knew she'd have to be hospitalized and that I was getting ready to head to the hospital. She called back a few minutes later and said the hospital was expecting us. When we got there we didn't even have to see an ER doc since they had her listed as a direct admit and we just had to wait for them to get a room for her cleared on the ped's floor.


We got upstairs and she was struggling really bad. They had her on 100% 02 w/ a non-rebreather mask and her sats were still in the high 70's and her heartrate was in the 160's-170's sometimes as high as 180. They've talked to us before (at Christmas when we almost lost her to pneumonia) about thinking about whether or not we'd sign a DNR in the future. This time the doc told us that he needed a decision because depending on whether or not we signed it it would mean two different routes of treatment. He said that if we didn't sign it and she didn't improve in the next hour or so he would have to vent her. He told us to take a few minutes and go talk about it. We've talked before and after about 15 minutes decided to sign it. OMG it was the most horrible thing I've ever done. I can't even explain it and emotionally can't even hardly talk about it now. I know it's the best thing. I don't want her to have to go through more than she already has and we certainly don't want her living by machines only. Like my father said, there's a difference between preserving life and just prolonging death. Once the papers were signed they brought in her little blue bracelet and put it on her. They started treating her with several antibiotics, did blood work, and chest x-rays. Mommy was right....pneumonia in that left lung again.


I have to say that little girl is a fighter. by friday morning her sats were 100% on the 100% 02. And her breathing was much better. The doctor couldn't get over her improvement. By saturday she was on nasal canulas and doing 100% better. She continued to improve as the pneumonia started to clear up but then she cought the rotovirus. All in all we spent March 9th-March 17th in the hospital during which time my mom was rushed my ambulance to the ER and hospitalized and had to have a heart cath. It was clear and she was only in the hospital one night. I spent two days going between the ped's floor and the CCU ward.


Every one is home now and doing 100% better. Faith is still on a teeny tiny puff of 02 but she always takes forever to wean! lol She's finally tolerating her full formula feeds and doesn't have to have them diluted anymore. Oh and in the mean time we had an ultrasound while Faith was in the hospital and the little bean finally cooperated and we found out that we are having another little GIRL!!!!! YAY!!!!! Abigail Grace is due June 11th but my c-section will be the first week of June! Everything looks great and she's looking healthy!!!


Thank you for asking about us!!!! And sorry that this was so long!!!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket

iVillage Member
Registered: 04-28-2005
Wed, 03-21-2007 - 7:59am
(((HUGS))) Luanne, I am so glad things are going better for Faith. But oh... you have gone through so much.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Registered: 08-20-2004
Wed, 03-21-2007 - 8:04am
Stephanie, thank you so much. If there's one thing I've learned through IV it's that no matter whether or not we ever meet in person the bond that can develop as well as the friendships are as real and strong as those in our "real" lives. My April board has been there for me since we were an EC board that began in 2004. They were there when we got the diagnosis and throughout the pregnancy. I can't even tell you how close we are now as a playgroup online!!! You concern has really touched my heart. I never cease to be amazed at how much these board can be a source of support and encouragement, not to mention a place to release!!! Again, thank you!!!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket

iVillage Member
Registered: 03-24-2003
Sat, 03-24-2007 - 8:30pm

I'm so sorry this has been such a hard tie for all.

Maria :)                


iVillage Member
Registered: 01-26-2007
Mon, 03-26-2007 - 4:31pm

That is great news!

Photobucket