9/11 Lawsuit

iVillage Member
9/11 Lawsuit
Thu, 07-28-2011 - 10:21pm

I wanted to get your opinions on the lawsuit brought against the 9/11 cross memorial.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-29-2011 - 11:27am

I don't agree with it. I see the beam as the professor talks about here: “If the cross is presented in a way that ties it to the history of its discovery and the religious perception of it by some firefighters or neighbors, then the museum would be framing it as a historical artifact, rather than as a symbol deserving religious reverence,” Professor Lupu said. 

To me, it's not a cross. It's two beams that happen to be in the shape of a xian symbol and some people have imbued it with religious significance. I don't think it's meant to be a symbol for all of the victims. I think it is a symbol only for those who find it as such, kinda like those crazy people who see an image of Jesus in a grilled cheese sandwich. :smileywink:

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-31-2011 - 2:54am

I am always curious why the image on the grilled cheese sandwich is always Jesus and not George Carlin?

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-01-2011 - 11:51am

I believe only the victims families should be involved in a lawsuit. If the jewish, atheist, islamic or whatever families have issues with the cross, THEY should come forward. I think it's a big mistake for outside atheists to get involved in this. Do I think a better symbol that represents all the victims be used? Absolutely. Do I think it's ridiculous to use a cross when this was NEW YORK and you know the religions represented in those buildings had to be quite diverse? Of course. However, unless you had family members in there, you should stay out of it.