Advent 2009!

iVillage Member
Advent 2009!
Tue, 11-24-2009 - 11:03am

I can't believe Advent starts Sunday! Are you doing anything special to observe Advent?

I need to find my Advent wreath and make sure we're good with candles. I also need to get two Advent calendars for the kids. We only had one last year, and Lucy really wanted her own (she wasn't even a year old yet so I didn't think to get her one). Ian is old enough now to do some more, so I've been looking for ideas.

I'm taking the kids out to the mall this afternoon to get a photo of them with the man in red for the scrapbook. I don't want to venture out there after Thursday, so this is probably our best bet. There's a Christian Family Bookstore out there I'll wander through. It's not my favorite, but it's all we've got out here in the way of brick and mortar stores. Sometimes they have some cool things.

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-24-2009 - 12:34pm
DH needs to get the Advent calendar out of storage
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-24-2009 - 12:56pm

I can't believe Advent starts Sunday either.

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-25-2009 - 8:23am
Advent in our parish.

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-25-2009 - 10:10am

I have the Advent wreath and candles ready. We light the candles every night of Advent, as I did when I was a kid. We don't, however, read from Luke every night, which we did when I was a kid. DH is agnostic, so I have to make sure I don't overdo the Catholic observances to the point where he feels left out or disrespected. I figure the candles are enough.

14yo DD has been selling chocolate Advent calendars for her German Club. I bought one for each of the 13 people in my office, which I will give to everyone next week. We really get into the Christmas spirit in my office!

I put up lights and Christmas decorations the weekend of Thanksgiving. I know we are supposed to be waiting for Christmas; and having a Nativity scene, a statue of St. Nicholas (looking like a saint, not Santa Claus) and a few other decorations makes waiting very enjoyable. We don't put up stockings or the tree until mid-December.

Kelly

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-25-2009 - 4:44pm
I'm so glad that you mentioned this! I had totally put it out of my head, I will for sure get the advent wreath out and start our christmas season book (can't think of the name right now but heard of it here last year....)

Ann, married to my best friend since June 5, 1999

Happy Mom to 4 boys:  Phillip (9/00), Kevin (5/02), Matthew (10/03) and Jonathan (7/06).  And 1 Girl

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-25-2009 - 5:25pm

I posted on my blog about our plans for Advent but I cant' invite y'all to stop by there....

we are reading a new book: Bartholomew's Passage as well as using a new devotional: A Family Celebration.
We'll have our Advent wreath, little ones have chocolate Advent calendars.. not sure if we'll do the Jesse tree this year since we'll be away for 10 days (and that's too much to drag with us)
I can't remember if there was anything else

Renee

Wife to Scott

Mom to: Madeleine, James, Abigail, Theresa & John

www.reneesuz.blogspot.com

Renee

Wife to Scott

Mom to: Madeleine, James,

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-27-2009 - 11:29am

My advent wreath is still on the table from last year.

PJPIIadoration.jpg picture by Kimberly_sahm

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-27-2009 - 9:00pm

Haven't been here in a while but thought I'd pass the Advent links on my parish's website along http://www.saintgeo.com/

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-30-2009 - 11:46am
I need to dig out the advent wreath from the bins, but they're buried under and behind a bunch of stuff in the "blessing basket". The contents of that basket need to go to the thrift store.
Over the summer I scored a few very very cheap things on Target clearance that I put away for the Angel Tree at church. I need to go through that and have the kids wrap stuff for the tree and take it to church the 13th, which is the deadline to get it in there. My dh thinks it's crazy that I do that, but I don't think he realizes that we had Angel Tree gifts every year when I was growing up, and I feel compelled to pay back into that circle of giving some how or another.
Anyway, back to the wreath. I took my friend's idea of lighting the candles as appropriate for the week, at dinnertime. My dh is Baptist, so I have to keep in mind the things we do and not push the envelope w/ him. This practice also keeps me on my toes about getting dinner on the table every night so we can use up the candles. It's a good way to gauge just how often we're sitting down together at the table. In my case at the current moment, it's also good motivation to clean up the dining room b/c it's horridly cluttered and junked up, just as much as the rest of the house is. It's been a challenging year to say the least.
~Trish

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
the rains fall soft upon your fields
and until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of His hand.
--old Irish blessing

Irish siggy courtesy beaches59

Photobucket
Photobucket
~Trish

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
the rains fall soft upon your
iVillage Member
Mon, 11-30-2009 - 12:08pm

Trish, not to worry about your dining room table. We have a l-o-n-g dining room table that at least half of is usually taken up with various projects in progress. The other half we actually use to eat on LOL.

Got your Facebook invite....going over there to accept it ;-)

Ruth

Pages