DE retriel happening tomorrow (Nov 19th)

iVillage Member
DE retriel happening tomorrow (Nov 19th)
Sat, 11-18-2006 - 8:36pm

Egg retrieval is happening tomorrow morning (Sunday). We go in to the ART center to finish signing the consents and for DH to provide his specimen. We need to be at the center no later than 8:15am, very important not to be late so that we don't run into the Donor or other couple (we are sharing the donor). Feels strange, almost like sneaking around. I've seen one picture of the donor, I'll always remember her face. I wonder what I would feel if I saw her? I probably wouldn't be able to take my eyes off of her, I'd be watching her mannerisms, listen for her voice, etc. Most of the time I forget that we are doing this with someone else's eggs. This is all very exciting! I'm in a good place emotionally.

As of today I'm now taking 1 Estradiol tab 2x per day, Doxycycline 2x per day (for 4 days), Medrol 1x per day (for 4 days)s and tonight I start with the Progesterone gel (Crinone 8% inserted vaginally). Depending on the embryos the transfer will be on day three, November 22nd or day five, November 24th. After transfer I'll keep taking the Estradiol 2x per day and the Progesterone 3x per day. Pregnancy test will be December 2nd!

For those interested in the cost, we've spent approx. $8,150.00 so far. We saved some money because my insurance paid for the Follistim and most of my meds and of course because we split the donor fees (her payment and medical expenses) with another couple. I haven't kept track of every fee, just the big charges. If there are 'extra' embryos we'll pay another $500 to freeze them plus $250 for one year of storage. My doctor doesn't think we'll need Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection or assisted hatching, but if we do that'll be additional charges. We aren't going for any genetic testing either, the donor's eggs are young so it doesn't really seem to be worth the expense.

That's my update for now.

Best,
tp

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-25-2006 - 4:22pm
Good luck :)
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-21-2006 - 8:51pm

Congrats, what a great reason to be thankful this year.

Nicholas1.jpg picture by carrie_mt

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-19-2006 - 10:18pm

Hi,

Retrieved 22 eggs from the donor, 11 for me/11 for the other recipient.

DH complained all the way home about how difficult it was to do his part. Ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaa! It's so difficult to masterbate into a cup? I gently, and with humour, reminded him what I've been going through for over a year now: a stick probing my most intimate part (ultra sounds), blood drawing, injections, medications...miscarriage, D&C, hot flashes, 35 days of bleeding.... He says to me, "yea, but that's physical, my thing is mental, it's very difficult to do "that" when you know that everybody knows what you are doing". Well, cry me a river. :-) I swear, I married the only man in America that doesn't fart out loud or masterbate. I come from a family that is very open about both!

Anyway, the doctor should know tomorrow if we are going to do a day 3 transfer, Wednesday, or day 5, Friday.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Best,
tp

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-19-2006 - 3:09pm

TP,

I just read your podt today. I hope everything went well for you. It all sounds so exciting! Keep us posted on your progress.

e-mail me

jhscalis@wisc.edu

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-19-2006 - 9:59am

Good luck and congrats.

Nicholas1.jpg picture by carrie_mt