Friends as donors?

iVillage Member
Friends as donors?
Wed, 11-22-2006 - 8:37pm

Have any of you had a friend as a donor?

A little bit of history...

I had a 'friend with benefits' which ended up with a pregnancy. This wasn't exactly 'planned' but everyone was really happy about it, and I was able to work out logistics, and was getting everything planned and ready for the baby. At 12 weeks I had a miscarriage which was devistating for me. At first I was nervous about the whole thing, but once we got rolling and everything started to fall into place, I became really excited and couldn't wait for this baby.

Since the miscarriage, I have talked to this friend about trying again, and he said he didn't want to right now, and probably won't in the future (he has 2 other kids).

Fast forward to now... I still have everything I started to get for the first baby, and still have plans set for work, childcare, etc. My best friend of 10 years, who is gay, offered to be a donor so I could try for another child. We started to talk about at home insemination and I have just started doing research on it.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of situation and any advice? I never looked into or even thought about insemination until the miscarriage.

Any information, good or bad would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Kate

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-24-2006 - 12:46pm

hi there,

i don't have any concrete advice, but your posts caught my eye because i was considering two friends to use for donor eggs.