Has anyone used vitrified frozen eggs?

iVillage Member
Has anyone used vitrified frozen eggs?
Fri, 01-15-2010 - 11:07am

Hello all!

I am new to posting here but do lurk some! DH and I are planning to do DE this year after 3 failed pg's with my own eggs. Our clinic offers eggs from the frozen egg bank along with fresh cycles of course. They told us that the egg bank and vitrification process is relatively new and they are building up their stock, so the speak, so they don't have enough data to give success statistics. It is less expensive of course so it is something we are considering but the lack of stats has me worried. I also feel like I'd prefer to do a fresh cycle in hopes to have frozen embies if we aren't successful at first or even possibly to have a second child down the road.

Guess I'm rambling here... my question is has anyone used vitrified eggs? What was your experience? Have you heard any success statistics from your clinic or other clinics? Just trying to make an educated decision. TIA!

Kelly

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-15-2010 - 1:29pm

Kelly::
I an currently 6 weeks pg with frozen donor egg twins. Spencer (also on this board) is 18 weeks o
pg with a frozen donor egg singleton. We both used vitrified eggs from Shady Grove. They have over an 80% success rate with their vitrified eggs. There are a few things you should know about the program. Typically only half the eggs thawed are fertilized. A 50% fert rate is normal. They also are typically a 3 day transfer. However, for whatever reason, vitrified eggs seem to be more robust. My RE said that he can't explain why but thinks it is something to do with the vitrification process.

All of SG's frozen oocytes are repeat donors. I would highly recommend a repeat donor. After paying all this money, I want something more proven.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Best wishes,
Gabrielle

From Womack DSW

IVF 1# ICSI & AH-BFN 04/08.

After too many failed natural cycles to mention, discover that previously clear tubes have become blocked after surgery to remove fibroids (however, no more fibroids). Decent FSH for 40 year old

Franklin and Callan

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-15-2010 - 2:14pm

Thanks so much for the info Gabrielle and congratulations! Wow, 80%?! That is really good. Is that success rate actually higher than DE cycles at Shady Grove? It would be at my clinic as they show a clinical pg rate of 67% with donor egg. Shady Grove is a much bigger clinic than my facility so I guess that is why they have more data to publish a success rate.

My clinic did mention that you would need about 8-10 vitrified eggs to do a cycle which is in line with what you are saying regarding the # that make it thru thaw and fertilization. Hmmm, so it is sounding like a viable option at about $10K less. Still need to debate in my head about having the frozen embies though.

Kelly

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-15-2010 - 3:21pm

Hi Kelly:
I think the fresh eggs are 70%. Here is the concern with SG. If you do the 1:3 program for fresh eggs at SG, you typically won't have many to freeze. The most I've seen make it to freeze is 1-2 ( mostly 1). In our first DE cycle although we transfered 2 blasts, none made it to freeze. You would be better off in the 1:2 program if you want to try for sibs. SG will thaw 6 eggs for you. Spencer only had 4 thawed but they've upped it since. I had 6 thawed. They didn't offer more. We got into a pilot program where our frozen donor eggs were actually a free cycle and didn't count as one of the six cycles. The other thing you need to know is that if you get pg on the first cycle, then you are done and if you have frozen embryos it is about $5000 extra a cycle for ET.

Overall I'm very happy with them and a frozen cycle is less stressful than fresh in that you don't have to worry about how the donor is doing. You already know what you are getting. Meds are a bit less complicated, too.

GL with your decision.
Gabrielle

From Womack DSW

IVF 1# ICSI & AH-BFN 04/08.

After too many failed natural cycles to mention, discover that previously clear tubes have become blocked after surgery to remove fibroids (however, no more fibroids). Decent FSH for 40 year old

Franklin and Callan

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-15-2010 - 4:09pm
Thanks again, this really helps me weigh our options. Like you said, something about the ease of not searching for and stressing over the donor's cycle is appealing!

Kelly

I'm 38, DH is 42 and we are TTC #1. We've had 3 unexplained miscarriages and a bout with Asherman's Syndrome but we're determined.

BFP #4! - 1/
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-15-2010 - 6:21pm

Hi Kelly!

I'm the other frozen egg mom Gab mentioned.