hi! thinking of being a donor

iVillage Member
hi! thinking of being a donor
Sat, 03-27-2010 - 9:53am

Good morning all. I am a member of the December Sugarbabies here on IV. I have been thinking of being an egg donor for a little while now. I have a son who is 14 months old, and my husband currently doesn't want anymore kids (he's got 2 older ones as well).

I was readying into egg donation and it sounds like something I would like to do. I've seen so many friends affected by infertility - i've always said that i'd be a surrogate mother for someone if need be, but maybe being an egg donor would work a little better for me, while still giving me the satisfaction of helping someone become a parent (which is the greatest thing in the world).

Can someone help me out with the pros and cons about doing this? What are the health risks that are associated, and do you have any experiences to share?

Thanks in advance!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-07-2010 - 3:13pm

Just wanted to say thank you for considering being a donor. Right now I have a 3.5 month old sitting at my feet chattering away that is from DE. I cannot tell you the love I have for our child. It's amazing.

Ours was an anonymous donation so I will never be able to thank the woman who donated for her generosity. (Nor do we want to know who she is)

I will say however that what you are considering will bless someone beyond belief !!!!

Many Hugs!!!

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-01-2010 - 10:01am

It is not a super quick thing. Most agencies and RE's office require an extensive screening program (blood work, ultra sounds, psych screening, etc)... Once you get that done, you don't have any visits until you are cycling. They are going to want to see you for injectibles training, baseline screening and then periodic monitoring while you begin meds. The week of retrieval is the busiest with usually daily or every other day ultra sounds to

Franklin and Callan

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-01-2010 - 8:58am
Thank you for sharing! How long did the cycle last for each donation? Was it just one month - as in monthly cycle -- or did you have to do it for several months before the procedure was actually done. Was there a lot of recovery time after the procedure?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-01-2010 - 8:56am
Ok. I'll look into that. I also hope to find an office fairly close to where I live. I live in a somewhat small town, and hope that I don't have to drive hours to be able to do this. Especially if I have to go to the MD a couple of times a week - I don't know that my employer would be able to handle that....

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-01-2010 - 8:54am
Thank you and Congratulations on your little one! ;+)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-01-2010 - 8:53am
Thanks for the link...It was very informative!! ;+)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-01-2010 - 8:52am
Thank you for the welcome and well wishes!! :+)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-30-2010 - 1:27am

Hi! I am just bored here at work & lurking, lol. But saw your post.

Im now 42 (YIKES!!!), but back about

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-29-2010 - 8:44am

Thank you from this end, too! I owe my twins to my donor and I am so grateful!

You will also have to decide what type of donor you want to be. Some work with egg donation agencies and other work in a pool of donors for Reproductive endocrinologists. Most of the DE recipients on this board worked with donors who were associated with DRs offices.

Good luck with your decision and thank you again!

Gabrielle

Franklin and Callan

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-28-2010 - 2:06pm
I think the site Spencer sent should answer your questions, so I just wanted to say "thank you" for considering it. I am pregnant with my first with the help of an egg donor, and couldn't be more grateful.

Amber

Mason James was born 8/21/10, 8lbs 12 oz after close to 3 years of infertility.

Pages