I am back! Anyone here from 2001/03?

iVillage Member
I am back! Anyone here from 2001/03?
Wed, 01-10-2007 - 10:09am

Hi,
I haven't been able to come to this board often in the last few years and couldn't post to reply to posts to offer my 2 cents.
This board has been such a tremendous help during the time I was hoping to conceive and then carrying my daughter that I wanted to be available to support women in the same situation. Unfortunately life has been too busy (a good kind of busy but still...) to do this.
In 2001 I had two daughters who were conceived before DH decided to have a vasectomy. In 2001 he agreed to TTC #3. After two home ICIs, no meds, no OPKs, just basal body temp and observing changes in the cervix and cervical mucous, I conceived my daughter whom I birthed at home with a midwife after an uneventful pregnancy.

My worries about how would #3 being a DI baby affect the relationship between DH and #3 were unnecessary. My daughter has taken to DH right away and even though being a father isn't the most important thing in his life for him (unfortunately) he truly loves his daughters and has an especially close relationship with our youngest.
We disclosed to our older kids when they both were old enough to understand what DI means. They were 10 and 7 (we wanted to wait for the younger one to be old enough too) and especially my oldest had many questions that kept coming for a while, you could tell she was thinking about it quite a bit. We haven't told #3 yet, she is 4 now and I have no set plan on how and when but will decide spontaneously.

Before I conceived my daughter I had an overwhelming longing for a new baby in my life. Since DH had chosen to have a vas after our 2nd child was born (against my 'consent', I wasn't so sure I was done having babies:-) I got really sad, my head knew I had two healthy children and that was really enough but my belly really yearned for 'one more'. When DH finally gave me the 'Go Ahead' I was SO happy! The time after the decision was made was very taxing - as most of you have experienced also.
My greatest wish was, that I would, after having given birth to my baby, never have 'baby lust' again, because Dh would not consent to having a fourth child. So far I am lucky, I have my hands full, feel that my family is complete and know that I couldn't have the energy and patience needed to mother another child the way I think is the right way for me(nursing on cue, carrying baby, co-sleeping etc). I am very glad about the fulfillment I feel now and hope it stays that way.

Wow, this has gotten really long,I hope you're still with me:-)

I am curious who else is still around, lurking, TTCing, pregnant with a new baby or mothering a new little miracle!

Fertile vibes to all TTCing and best wishes to all of you, Elisia

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-12-2007 - 9:21pm

Elisia,

I have been here off and on since 1997.

jhscalis@wisc.edu

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-13-2007 - 3:58pm

Hi Elisia :)

I've been here on and off over the years too, just back again after a big move. Good to hear from you. Look forward to hearing more about your family.

Belinda

Mum to Mitchell

living in Northern Australia

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

2010 OC sig

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-14-2007 - 5:33pm

I was here in 2001/02 and had a daughter and am now pg again via donor. Glad to see you back. Hope you can stay awhile and offer your advice to others.

alex - pg with #6 (2nd with DI/different donors)

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-23-2007 - 12:35am

Elisia,

I sure as heck remember you!!! Do you remember me? We conceived around the same time, and I got a bouncin' baby boy (ICI #2), who is a bouncin' big 4 yr. old now too. How I love him, let me count the ways! He is an absolute delight, and amazes me more every single day. And, he's got a brother to add to our happy family (ICI #1), who is an absolute delight as well. I had #2 with the same donor this past July. Call me crazy, but I don't think that I'm done yet. I seem to conceive very easily, even with frozen donor sperm, but I've had some pretty severe pregnancy complications with both my boys (same issues, Severe Preeclampsia & HELLP Syndrome), but after they're born, it's easy street, LOL! Heck, I'd probably have 12 if I didn't have to go through pregnancy. I'm trying to wrap my mind around when to dive in again. I'll be nursing for quite a while so, I don't have to decide anything right away... and I'm 'only' 32. Hopefully, I've got a few good baby years left in me yet. I definitely want at least one more (for certain), but I'd be absolutely delighted to end up with four-- I just don't know if I should gamble with preeclamsia that many times.

It is so good to see a post from you. It's really good to hear that your DH and yougest daughter have bonded well-- I remember that it was a big concern for you. ((Hugs)) to you and your happy family.

Jani, Joshua (4) & Dylan (6 months)

Jani

"Laughter is an orgasm triggered by the intercourse of sense and nonsense."

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-28-2007 - 9:45am

Hi Jani, Belinda, Alex and cl-packersnumber!

Thank you so much for your replies to my "call" :-)
It is so nice to see who is still around and to read how you and your (growing:-) families are doing!
Alex, I kind of followed your surprise pg with #5 and am so happy for you that #6 is on the way!
Jani, of course I remember you! You were my mentor/role model five years ago whenever I was about to give up hope that I would ever be able get conceive using the low intervention Home-ICI route. I haven't been able to come and lurk for a while and totally missed your pg with #2! Congratulations!!
I'm sorry though that your pg are so rough! It must have been hard the first time around but even harder when you were expecting your second miracle and already had Joshua to take care of. I hope you have a very supportive circle of friends and family to help you!
I'll try to be around more and lend my support to other women but somehow there never is enough time...:-)
Take care,
Elisia