thinking about DI, Overweight

iVillage Member
thinking about DI, Overweight
Thu, 07-01-2010 - 1:41am
I as single and 33 and overweight. I have been thinking about choosing to have a baby via donor insemination but am concerned about being rejected for the procedure due to my weight. Is there a weight limit? If so I would like a heads up so I can lose weight ahead of time.
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-12-2010 - 2:06pm

I believe that it depends largely on the clinic and doctor that you see - as well as your overall health.

I am significantly overweight - but my doctor never had any concern about it because I am super healthy. I exercise regularly, eat well, have low blood pressure, good blood sugar, etc. These things are so much more important than the number on the scale.

Of course, if you can lose some weight in a healthy manner before ttc - then that always is a good thing!

As for making it harder to conceive, that does not hold true for everyone. I got pregnant on our first IUI (and it was the first time my eggs probably ever met a sperm, as my husband's sperm don't swim!)

Hope that makes you feel better!

Better to worry about being HEALTHY at whatever weight - so that you can have a healthy pregnancy!

Leslie

Me (34) DH (32) TTC #1 since 2007

TTC naturally/ timed BD 2007-2009 July 2009 SA #1 zero count

July 2009-March 2010 more tests for DH

June 9 & 10, 2010- First & Second IUIs with Donor Sperm (Clomid, Estrogen, HCG) BFP!!!

June 26th, 2010 - Beta #1 : 531

BabyFetus Ticker
Leslie Finally welcomed baby Stella on 2/25/2011 after 3+ years of TTC!
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-02-2010 - 3:01pm
Welcome to our board.

jhscalis@wisc.edu

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-01-2010 - 1:30pm

Having started the process, I don't believe so. I don't consider myself obese, or even overly fat, but I'm definitely overweight for my height. I'm 5'4 and 175. I think it's a case by case situation I'm sure. Being overweight decreases your chances of getting pregnant I know that. I suggest calling a local Woman's Health clinic like I did, and ask them these questions as well as asking for referrals of doctors in your area who may have more experience in donor pregnancies. When I called they referred me to a wonderful doctor, who along with me, is working with another woman in the process as well.

Good luck!