waiting time for DE

iVillage Member
waiting time for DE
Wed, 08-04-2010 - 3:44pm

hi, all,
My DE and I decided to do DE after our failed IVF attempt in May. We completed all of the copious paperwork and tests by June 15. The nurse in charge was on maternity break (!), so we had to fax in all of our paperwork three times. They told us we'd have to wait three-six months once our application was complete. That was almost two months ago.

Have others experienced such waiting times? I'm concerned that if I switch programs I'll get put to the end of the list. However, I'm concerned that by the time I actually get the procedure done, it will be 9 months (how ironic!).

Also, we live in Illinois, so a flight to Baltimore wouldn't be ideal. Any word on good places in Chicago?

Thanks for your advice,
martha

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-19-2011 - 1:30pm
Our donor was 25 years old and was a first time donor. Yes, this process can be so overwhelming, scary, and exciting all at once.

I will say by choosing the shared risk program, I was definately not as stressed as when I was doing my own IVF cycles. Primarily, because I knew if it didn't work, we could keep trying or choose not to.

Best of luck to you:)

Kristi
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-19-2011 - 7:59am

thanks Isabel!

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-17-2011 - 9:48am
I was the same way because we had a failed fresh and FET with a frozen embie from that cycle. That's why we chose Shady Grove's shared risk program. I was unwilling to throw another $20k at a single cycle. Good luck with your choice

Isabel
Mom to Sebastian Robert after 3+ years of infertility

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-16-2011 - 10:29pm

Hi Kristi,

Thanks for the input; do you remember how old your donor was at that time?
I am a bit overwhelmed with all the info out there; but need to make up my mind soon.

Thanks for your input!

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-16-2011 - 10:20pm

Hi Isabel,

Thanks for your response.
GIVF says their FET is about 50% sucess and the fresh cycle is about 70% success. Of course if I am doing a split fresh cycle then again the question is how many

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-16-2011 - 9:50am
Hi krista,
I sa your other post. Sorry about the unsuccessful cycle. Those absolutely suck. Truthfully, I was happier with the frozen ooctyte cycle because it was just easier from a planning perspective and it actually worked. Every clinic likes to tout their success rates but unless they can say 100%, someone is always on the wrong side of this stats. I am just sorry that it had to be you.

I wish I had some advice about the 2 clinics you mentione but I don't know them. Now that my peanut is here, I would love to try again for another but the price tag may be too steep since it took us $50k to get him in the first place.

Isabel
Mom to Sebastian Robert after 3+ years of infertility

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-16-2011 - 8:39am
We chose the shared risk 1:3 program, obviously for cost reasons. Our donor produced 15 mature eggs so each recipient received 5 eggs. Of our 5 eggs, 4 fertilized. On day 3, all eggs looked equally well so they pushed it out to a 5 day xfer. We ended up with 2 5AA blasts, and 2 a little further behind. Doctor reccommended xferring 1 5AA blast, (I am a petite lady) which we did and it was successful. We have 1 frostie remaining.

IDK if you are familar with SG shared risk program, it is more expensive but you get 6 cycles with a guarentee take home baby or your money is refunded. This sold my DH because we had put out a lot of $$$$ in the last 3 years with no results.

I live in NOVA, do you as well?? I'm not familiar with GIVF in Fairfax. You are correct, at certain times the donor database at SG is small but it did fluncuate daily when we were looking.

My first donor liasian was not very helpful and said she could not tell me if and when new donors were coming down the pike. I asked for a new liasian and she was more helpful. When they do add donors, there is no set time or day. They just appear, so I had to look frequently throughout the day.

Best of luck to you!

Kristi
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-15-2011 - 9:40pm

hi Spencer,

that's interesting and I guess I just was not lucky, since my two fertilzed eggs were 7 and 8 cells and neither implanted, while for you, one did.

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-15-2011 - 9:22pm

thanks for your feedback, and good luck to you. Great that you got pregnant the first time.
May I ask you - did you do a split fresh cylce? How many eggs did you get, how man fertilized, how many transferred?

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-15-2011 - 3:16pm
At the time we did our cycle with frozen eggs, they were giving us 4 eggs. Of those 4, 2 fertilized and both grew. I had a day 3 transfer of a 5-cell and a 7-cell, and one successfully implanted to give us our dd. I believe the standard now is 6 eggs with an average 50% fert rate.

I can only speak to Shady Grove, as I don't know the other clinics. But your experince (6 eggs, 3 fert, 2 transferred) sounds average for a frozen egg cycle. Unfortunately not every cycle is successful :( I don't think it necessarily reflects badly on the clinic. I think success rates, donor pool, and comfort level with the clinic and doctors will all play into your decision. I wish you all the best for a successful next cycle!!!