Want to Donate Embryos

iVillage Member
Want to Donate Embryos
Fri, 11-20-2009 - 1:48pm

Hello

I am going to be doing my own IVF cycle in March '10 and want to donate my remaining embryo.

Can anyone tell me how to do this? One site I found on the web asked me to freeze them first, but it just seems natural to me that if they are implanted when they are first fertilized, there would be a better chance of conception.

Thanks in advanced for any advice!

Nikki

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-13-2009 - 9:22pm
WOW, oh wow!
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-20-2009 - 7:09pm

Hi Nikki,

Welcome to the board. Have you talked to your RE about this ? There are two things you may consider.

#1 A shared cycle with another couple who would be interested in using your eggs and in that way you would get a price discount from your RE if you supply the eggs for another couple. You actually would not be donating your embryos unless you and your husband/partner agree to let the lab fertilize your eggs which then in turn needs 3 days to split into cells to become and embryo. Some clinics do offer to freeze your eggs at this time for future use of other couples but if you're going to use them they would want them fertilized fresh and then frozen. ( Hope that makes sense)

#2 Keep in mind that your IVF may not work the first time, or the second or even the third. Keep in mind that you may want to have more than one child in the future and may want those frozen embryos. Before you make a big committment to donate anything, make sure you get what it is that you need out of the cycle. It took us 6 years, 7 IUIs, 2 IVFs with my own eggs and 4 IVFs with donor eggs until we finally were blessed with this pregnancy that stuck. We never thought it would take 13 tries.

While your offer is a generous one, don't give away something now that you may regret later.

Good luck~~ hope your IVF road is a short one and KUP !