My 'next steps' RE appt
Find a Conversation
|Thu, 11-13-2008 - 8:05pm|
Hi ladies. I had my next steps appointment today. I am still overwhelmed, although I am letting things sink in. Long vent below.
If you want just the summary: The docs and nurses were not nice today, and they want us to move to a hybrid protocol IUI, and I am overwhelmed and need some time to think.
If you want the nitty gritty: My RE is in a university system, so the student doc talked with me first. He basically blew off my concerns about my back discomfort and thoughts that it might be endo. He blew off that my right ovary was behind my uterus during my sonohist. Then he explained the "steps" of levels of med, procedures, etc- while looking at the computer screen more than my face. Frustrating, but I have learned to take the students with a grain of salt...the he left to go talk with my RE.
Then my RE came in and said that student and she had talked about what we decided my next step would be, with a hybrid protocol with IUI... really, because he explained diferent items, but never did "we" decide...anyway, she seemed amused (there was a little giggle) at my list of concerns and questions about my back pain, ovary position, and she said it is not likely I have any other issues than ovary cysts/disfunction and my TSH still needs to come down a bit...I had always felt comfortable with her before this appt. She also said "Your partner's sperm is not bad, we just want him to see the doctor to see if we can make it better", last time I was there they made a big deal about how borderline it was based on morph and motility...
Then a different nurse than I have ever seen there came in and gave me instructions for the hybrid protocol, etc. She was not nice at all, she said she was having a bad day...(hmmm, wanna talk about a bad day, how about being infertile!!!)
So I grew a backbone and explained that while I will consider the hybrid protocol and IUI, I want to wait for C to see the RE urol on Dec. 1st and for my new dose of synthroid to kick in before we proceed with anything, so that puts us to a mid January cycle at the earliest. At this point they were finally nice and emphasized that I am in control of this and if I want to wait 1 month or 6 months it is up to me and I can come back and talk with the nurse (hopefully the other nicer nurse) about any questions I have in the meantime.
My insurance will cover these items, but they build towards a 'lifetime max' that is pretty small....like 1 or 2 IUI's based on the price sheet. I have to talk with the doc office and see if they code all of it as IF or if they are able to code any of it as diagnosis or something else that is covered.
I am going to keep hoping I get a BFP by some miracle before January, even though in my heart I know it won't happen. I am afraid to do the IUI because in my heart I am afraid(sure) it will not work and we will be crushed. I know it is early in my journey and I am so sorry anyone of us has to go through any of this.
Sorry for the long vent....Thanks for listening.
Me 31, C 33. Together since 1994. TTC Since November 2006. Me-Low thyroid function, cystic ovaries but not PCOS C-1st SA rockstar except low morph, 2nd SA still low morph and now borderline motility....trying 3 unmonitored cycles of Femara....then it's back to the RE for me and the RE/Urologist for him