$250 Simplified IVF Treatment

iVillage Member
$250 Simplified IVF Treatment
Tue, 07-16-2013 - 2:51pm

This doesn'st seem possible, but something Belgium researchers have been working on.  Its's a simplified IVF treatment that has had good success rates so far, and healthy births as well:

Known as tWE*, the incubator system consists of two glass tubes connected by needles and tubing. The first tube acts as a generator of carbon dioxide produced by a chemical reaction between the basic chemicals citric acid and bicarbonate of soda. This reaction feeds the second tube - the culture medium, a nutrient substance used to cultivate organisms.

Oocytes, the female reproductive germ cells - 'egg cells' - and sperm are injected by syringe into the tube with the culture medium, without disturbing the air environment inside the tube. Fertilization and embryo development is then assessed through the tube.

The simplified IVF system was compared in the study with conventional IVF treatment to see how pregnancy and delivery success rates differed.

Read more: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/263021.php

Do you think it's possible to have IVF that is so inexpensive?  It makes me wonder if it will ever happen in the US.

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-19-2013 - 12:38pm

I think its possible to have IVF that is $250, but once it comes to the capitalist USA, the providers and doctors will increase the cost by 1000%.  It's upsetting and I get so upset because our doctors have limited options while other countries have done so much better.  Today I was considering adoption because I hate feeling like I am failing at this task.  I'm encouraged by your article but have been using alternative treatments because the IVF doctors say that I won't have a baby with my adenomyosis.  I have used an acupuncturist, lypmphatic massage therapist and chinese herbs to help me.  Using alternative treatments requires many months of juicing, cupping, daily herbs, vegetarian and vegan eating habits etc.  But I will NEVER give up.