So frustrated with my doctor
Find a Conversation
|Wed, 08-01-2012 - 7:02pm|
I have always had awful periods. One of my first memories of my period was my mother telling me over the phone that she had "pads" in the bathroom cabinet, and me looking at them and knowing they wouldn't be enough.
I only had my period for two years before she took me to the doctor to get birth control, hoping it would help with the cramps and back/headaches, and spare me from bleeding all over my pants at school. Until I was in high school, I stayed on various brands/types of birth control, trying to find one that didn't cause more of all my symptoms.
Four years ago I decided to stop taking birth control, to see if my body would go back to normal. What I found was that taking birth control had been masking symptoms I needed to pay attention to. I rarely had periods without the pill, but when I did it was excruciating. I finally got a referral to a gynecologist after I missed my period for the entire summer.
This gynecologist has jerked me around for three years now.
- First I had a transvaginal ultrasound, which turned up nothing.
- After this, he prescribed six months of Loestrin FE. It gave me constant pelvic pain, and shooting pains in my urethra on occasion. I held out the full six months and went back when the periods did not return.
- When I mentioned frequent diarrhea as a symptom, he sent me to a gastroenterologist, who gave me a colonoscopy, which turned up nothing. Of course I had a period during the procedure.
- At this point it had been a year since I first saw the GYN. His wife died of cancer during the time I was trying to schedule appointments and I eventually gave up trying to get in to see him.
- Six months after my colonoscopy, I had missed four more periods so I went back. He called for another transvaginal ultrasound, which found nothing. He did a pap smear and found nothing. I left the follow-up visit crying.
- I went back after several months with no periods. Now he decided he wanted to take a look inside, so I had a laparoscopy in October last year. He found some bowel adhesions, but nothing else. At the follow-up appointment, I asked about my weight gain, which is plentiful, and the hair that is growing on my belly and face, which is also plentiful. He shrugged it off. I left his office crying again, when he told me I had to wait and see if my periods returned following the D&C that accompanied my surgery. They did not.
- I went back in April. He prescribed 10 days of Provera, and casually threw it out there that, the way things look, I am probably going to need fertility treatments when I want to get pregnant. I bled within the timeline he gave and called back. The nurse told me that sometimes Provera jumpstarts your period and it goes back to normal. It sounded suspicious, but I agreed to wait a few months to see what happened. Nothing has happened, except that I gained 10 pounds since then. My next appointment is on Monday.
I don't know what to expect at this next appointment, but I am so frustrated with this doctor. It has taken him three years to NOT find the cause of all these problems. What will happen when I DO want to get pregnant, which is not very far away? Will it take another three years for him figure that out too? I am worried that my missed periods and other symptoms are part of a much larger issue, but he dismisses all my concerns as hypochondria from doing my own research. I have asked my GP for a referral to another GYN but he won't give it. What should I do at this appointment to get what I want?