High FSH levels??

iVillage Member
High FSH levels??
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 7:20am
I'm not exactly sure where to find out the answer to all my questions but I thought you ladies might be able to help me. I am a Gestational Surrogate for an absolutely wonderful couple. This cycle was to be their 4th IVF attempt. My IM (intended mother) went if for her baseline bloodwork to be able to start stims and her FSH came back at 17. From what I've read this is high. All other attempts, her FSH was fine (below 10) she made grade 1 embies (only 1 or 2 though) but 2 ended in miscarriages and the other 2 were failed attempts. Does anyone have high FSH experience and are using donor eggs? Is there hope for us with her eggs or should she start looking? We are going to gear up for a cycle in May and see what happens. I'm just afraid that now it has always been there but has finally shown it's ugly face and just took a while to show up in her bloodwork. Thanks for any help you can give me!

Beth
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 10:57am
Beth,

I'd bet she always had the problem, it's just that when she tested her FSH it came outO.K. so they started her on stims. I never had as high an FSH as she did, but I have had a 10 or a 12 scattered in between my cycles, which were always bet. 6-7 readings. It never allowed me to produce a large number of follicles on any cycle, and my quality was never great, but I did manage to have a successful pg. once, and I have had 6 fresh cycles. I would say that her response will be poor, even with a good FSH reading, unless they can try some different protocols to get a little better response, but IMHO it will never get much better.

Hugs to you both,

Patti

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 8:09am
The interesting part about all of this is that she makes great embryos. They go to blast no problem and at Grade 1! I guess we'll see what happens. I just really had such high hopes.

Beth