Important about the shipment of meds!

iVillage Member
Important about the shipment of meds!
Wed, 07-14-2010 - 2:11pm

I just received my Gonal F and Menopur delivered in a plain box with no styrofoam or ice packs. These drugs are supposed to be kept under 77 degrees. It's about 95 in my neck of the woods and I can only imagine how hot the back of a fedex truck is.

Long story short is that the pharmacy is sending me new meds the proper way, however it is their policy not to send my specific meds refrigerated. That policy might be okay during the the rest of the year but not in the middle of July during a heat wave. The first pharmacy I used sent them cold automatically and I was shocked to receive this shipment the way it was.

A word of advice when ordering meds, just to be on the safe side, remember to ask them to ship it on ice.This might save you some time and aggravation that I experienced.

I would guess the reason why the manufacturer says to keep it below 77 degrees is because heat could possibly compromise the quality. Going through all of this everything has to be perfect!

Janie

http://fertility-ivf-pregnancy.typepad.com/janies_fertility_and_ivf_/IVF#1 March 2010 GonalF, Cetrotide, Menopur.
23 follicles 19 eggs 13 mature 7 fertilized 2 blasts none to freeze. No Pregnancy.
IVF#2 July 2010 Lupron Gonal F Menopur

Edited 7/14/2010 2:12 pm ET by artgirl19
IVF#1 March 2010 GonalF, Cetrotide, Menopur.
23 follicles 19 eggs 13 mature 7 fertilized 2 blasts none to freeze. No Pregnancy.
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-14-2010 - 4:49pm

Hi Janie - yes that is the craziest thing I've heard! What pharmacy did you use? I live in AZ and it's only about 113'F out right now. They always ship in ice packs, but even in winter. You are very smart to demand new ones. Good thing you had the time. Your last cycle stats looked awesome wrt the # of follies, etc. I hope you get your BFP this time.

:) Jill

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-14-2010 - 4:19pm

It's sooo crazy, I know. I feel so much better I made them send me new drugs. They were very matter of fact about it but had no problem shipping me new drugs.

See you are cycling in July too :-} yay

Janie

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-14-2010 - 3:45pm

Wow, I have worked with 4 different pharmacies and they all shipped the follistim/gonal f with ice regardless if it was summer or winter time. Glad they are sending you new stuff.

CHRIS

----"Never give up on something that you can't stop thinking about every second of every day."----

Chris