ivf consult on Monday 10/3....very nervous...what to expect???

iVillage Member
ivf consult on Monday 10/3....very nervous...what to expect???
Tue, 09-27-2011 - 10:26pm

Its been a long road, but I am finally ready for my consult with my RE. When I was given the appointment, it seemed so far off, but now it's right around the corner. Will you all please tell me what to expect at this appointment? How long after this will I start the process? Will it be with my next cycle? I am nervous and excited all at once. Finding it difficult to sleep. We can only afford this one try, I know that one time is all it takes, but I can't help but think that the odds are stacked against me, cause normally it takes about 3 tries. Trying to remain optimistic :-)

iVillage Member
I think your experience might be totally different from everyone else. I know mine was, but I thought I'd share anyway since I was so surprised at mine.

First I was told mine would last 4 hours!! It ended up only being 3 hours long but that is still a LONG time and it included lots of things I didn't expect.

First I spoke with the nurse and financial person at the clinic. But then I was told I would be having an internal sonogram! After that I had a 'sounding' which is a mock transfer!!! All on my first appointment! I was not expecting that. Luckily it went really well. The doctor told me how many antral follicles I had (27!) and said my ovaries and uterus looked great. lol

After that the doctor came back to the consult room and went over success rates, answered questions, asked me questions and told me I would be doing a 'standard' protocol. Then the nurse came back and explained I would be in the next up cycle (my clinic has 4 weeks down where they are open only 5 days a week then 6 weeks up where they are open 7 days a week, all stims and transfers are in uptimes. Other clinics are always up or have varying up/down times so your schedule may be dependent on that). They were just getting ready for an uptime so I was too late for that one but I was put in the next one which starts October 31st (my appointment was in July). I just started bcp and start Lupron on the 18th of October. I should start stims on Oct 31st or Nov 1st. I was given a packet to keep all the information I had been given and instructions on calling when i started my Sept 22nd-ish cycle and setting up SAs for DH, etc. My next appointment is the 11th of October where I will learn how to do my shots, bloodwork and yet another sonogram.

Also I luckily have insurance. If I hadn't I would have needed to do a half deposit 6 weeks before and the rest by ER day.

I too only have one shot so I am nervous/excited too. :)

Good luck!!! Stay positive!

Elizabeth (31) DH (36) TTC #1 since July 2008

iVillage Member

My experience was a bit different then Elizabeth's. Have you had any bloodwork or tests done yet? Have you done IUIs?

I started off doing 6 IUIs (first one was a BFP which turned out ectopic). When I was ready for IVF, my DH & I met with our RE for about an hour going over a few things. We were required to meet with the clinic's councelor before starting IVF. In that meeting,

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Ah yes, I forgot to mention before our appointment we got a packet of information of things to fill out and what bloodwork needed to be done. DH already had 3 SAs but he ended up needing more but since I wasn't scheduled until later there was plenty of time.

Elizabeth (31) DH (36) TTC #1 since July 2008

iVillage Member

Thanks so much to both of you for responding. We have been to the RE for an initial visit, it was then that we had labwork done and a pelvic exam. That was way back on Sep 17. My hiusband has gotten his lab results (all normal) but I haven't. I guess I will get them on Monday...very nervous about that, but I figure if something is wrong she wouldve called by now. My husband still has to do an analysis. I dont have to do the HSG because 1 tube has been removed and the other is cut and clamped (ectopic in both tubes). They said to be prepared for a 2 hour visit. I know we have to go over the paperwork, I', wandering will they do the trial transfer then as well.

I had a complete melt down today...I'm so nervous. And I still have a few more days to go! How am I ever going to