IVF Success Rates?

iVillage Member
IVF Success Rates?
Mon, 08-23-2010 - 8:42am

Hi,

I was just on clomid and prometrium. It was unsuccessful or so i think...Expected AF is 26 August. Now, the only thing left is IVF. I just have some questions:

Is there any questionaire forms i could use to ask my doc before i go to my appoitment? What are the succcess rates? What are your side effects? Is it expensive? What questions should i be asking my doc when i go?

I'm waiting for a docs appoitment to inquire about IVF. I just need some advice. My HB and I would love to have kids but at what limit? I just dont know...any advise would be great.

Thanks in advance for your understanding.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-23-2010 - 5:24pm

It sounds like you are planning to talk to your regular gp or ob/gyn first?

Brigid, 42 yrs. old, daughter born 2002, Pregnant! Due date Jan. 6, 2012 Son born Dec. 29! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-24-2010 - 3:28pm

Hi Samantha969,

You can also check out the success rates by each IVF clinic at this cdc site.

http://www.cdc.gov/ART/ART2007/index.htm

Each clinic must report their stats to the govt.

Welcome to the board,

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-25-2010 - 6:57am

Thanks so much for your advice. I'm now digging in more and more. i want to read up on everything before i go.

i'm also wondering from start to finish. how long will it take? from the very first docs appoitment to placing the fertile eggs inside? a few months? i guess it will depend on how busy the fertility clinic is and when i can make my appoitments but, i'm more or less curious. i know its not an in and out procedure...i'm just wondering if the whole process is 3-6months like i think its going to be.

Holy, i'm such a newbie...i gotta educate myself. :-) hope your doing well.

Sam

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-25-2010 - 9:19pm

Hi, it's so good to read up on everything before your appts. And, this board is amazing for knowledge from others in the process. For me, this is my 2nd attempt at my 2nd RE.

For my 1st IVF, I had to do an HSG. Then, I did a Clomid Challenge cycle, then I opted to do 4 IUI's before my IVF. So, it was basically 2 cycles prior to assisted reproduction.

For my 2nd IVF with new RE, I had 1 cycle of testing: Hysteroscopy/Fluid sonogram, endometrial biopsy, all of the US and BW. Then, I had to do a Clomid challenge cycle (even though I had done one at my previous RE). Then, I was on BCP and Lupron for a cycle. Now, I'm finally ready to do my IVF. She seems to be more thorough with the testing, so I had 3 cycles before actual IVF cycle with stims.

Bottom line, it all depends! :) :) :) Hopefully you won't have to wait too long while still getting enough of the tests done so that RE knows how best to treat you.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-25-2010 - 11:44pm

Hi, Sam. One thing that helped me was a book called _in vitro fertilization: The A.R.T. of Making Babies_, by Geoffrey Sher, Virginia Marriage Davis, and Jean Stoess. I read it before I started IVF, and I've been periodically going back to different sections as I'm experiencing them. It talks about all the different procedures involved, medications, etc. It might be helpful for you.

:) Lynn

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-26-2010 - 6:28am

Hey,

Thanks for the info! I guess i should have written more. :-) my gyno sent me all sorts of tests, that saline test for the tubes, blood work, u/s, and others i'm forgetting since its been almost 2 yrs since them. i had surgery in june 2010 to clean out my endos and he found both tubes "sticky".