Need advice/thoughts/opinions

iVillage Member
Registered: 01-27-2011
Need advice/thoughts/opinions
Fri, 09-30-2011 - 9:20am

This is my first time posting here.

My story in brief---TTC x 15 cycles, DH with low sperm morphology (3% normal), me with diminished ovarian reserve ( FSH borderline normal 8.3, AMH low 0.48, normal antral follicle count 17 on U/S yesterday). Tried once cycle of timed intercourse with clomid in July, 2 cycles of clomid with IUI. We sought a second opinion from an RE in Gurnee yesterday. (We had been seeing an RE in Milwaukee). The RE in Gurnee said that he'd label us "unexplained infertility" as he didn't believe that my DOR was the result of our not getting PG (I ovulate every month so we should have just as good a chance as anyone) and he said that sperm morphology is typically very strictly looked at (maybe moreso than it should) so maybe he'd say "male factor" but couldn't say for sure b/c everything else with DH is good--great counts, great motility.

Going into that appt DH and I were pretty dead set on trying IVF right away. It has just been such a difficult year trying with failures over and over again. We had also talked about the risk of twins and we had been ok with that as a possibility. After talking with the RE I really don't know what to do. Of course cost is a factor in deciding. We have the money right now to be able to do IVF (even though it will be hard to fork it over). We could in theory start right away as I am on cycle day 8 and the RE said he'd do lupon down regulation with me without BCP so starting lupon on cycle day #21. That would put us at possible egg transfer the end of October/early November. Since my antral follicle count was normal yesterday he thought that I should respond well to the stim meds but couldn't say for certain how my DOR would impact how many eggs we get. He also spoke a little about risks/complications with twins and says that he could implant 1 or 2 embryos--we could decide that (granted we have 2 to choose from). Now I'm worrying about pre term delivery, etc. (Maybe I shouldn't be worrying about this just yet, cart before the horse type thing). Or do we try an IUI again with 7% chance of success? or IUI with stims with 12% chance of success (but risks of multiples--he kept saying John and kate + 8)? More money

iVillage Member
Registered: 08-08-2011
Fri, 09-30-2011 - 9:46am


Your situation in some ways is similar to ours. What troubles me the most about your Post is that your RE allowed you to cycle through several rounds of IUI. My Husbands Morphology report is very similar to yours. If the Morphology shows 3% or realize this basically says the sperm are INCAPABLE of egg penetration?? We also went through an IUI before both of our IVF cycles (IVF worked BOTH times for us..and I am 39, and my Husbands 37 with Terrible Morphology). We Did the IUI ONLY because our insurance covered it......But knew going would likely fail.

I encourage you to pursue IVF....And I also URGE you to insist that they perform ICSI (This is where the inject the sperm INTO the egg, versus allowing it to attempt penetration on it's own.) We also paid a little extra for assisted hatching. This is where they "knick" the egg to make implantation more likely. They basically Begin the hatching for you.... and the egg has a better chance of grabbing your uterus. The cost is a strain on any of us...but if we DONT try...we live with regret and "what if's"...and if we DO try and it doesn't work...we know we tried....... If it DOES work..... then, got what you paid for...right???

I am an OLD pro with this Infertility stuff..... So I am happy to answer ANY questions you have!!!


iVillage Member
Registered: 08-27-2008
Fri, 09-30-2011 - 11:31am

Hi Krista ~

It's so hard to go through all this emotionally and then have to make a decision when there is no "right" answer is so difficult.

iVillage Member
Registered: 12-07-2008
Sun, 10-02-2011 - 1:39pm

Though I do not have DOR, a lot of the girls on this board do, and from what I gather, age is also a factor as well as egg quality. It is hard to know what your quality is currently (you will if you do a cycle) and since you did not post your age, hard to tell if you should immediately jump to IVF. I will say that the risk of multiples is less with ivf than with medicated iuis. DH and I tried for 16 years until we took the leap. We weren't even sure it was possible at all, but with technology like MESA/TESE (they go in and get the sperm), we got our results the first time. Honestly, ivf is the best thing (and hardest and most expensive!) we ever did. It is heartbreaking every month to see AF when one hopes and prays for a BFP. It is an individual (meaning an individual couple)

About me: Sheri 35, DH 42, happily married 16 years, 3 furbabies TTC#1 since forever, MFI (complications from Type 1 Diabetes) December, February IUIs cancelled. One thing after another. March IVF stopped for uterine polyps (my turn to have something
iVillage Member
Registered: 01-27-2011
Sun, 10-02-2011 - 5:11pm

I'm 31 (sorry failed to mention that). Thanks for all of your responses.

It has been a very thought provoking weekend for DH and I. We've decided to pursue IVF and to pursue it right away. We mainly have decided to get things started now b/c we'd like to start the cycle before "snowfall" season as we'll be driving an hour there and back for appts and would rather not do that in snowstorms. I've come to terms with spending the money. Still not 100% decided on if I would elect for 1 or 2 embryos to be implanted (assuming that we have 2 or more to choose from). I think that we've just reached the point where we're ok with spending the money for the best option (highest success rates) for us at this time while I'm still young. I've been hearing a lot of stories about women who had difficulty conceiving, then maybe or maybe did not do any treatments who went on to get PG naturally. I hope and pray that IVF will work for us and if we are blessed to conceive naturally after that we would be so happy. I'm really going to try to just place all of my trust in God at this point after making the decision to move forward. That's all I can do.

Thanks so much for your well wishes and input.