Nervous Newbie with lots of questions

iVillage Member
Nervous Newbie with lots of questions
Tue, 08-03-2010 - 6:53am

Hi Everyone,

I have been lurking for awhile so just thought i would introduce myself & say hello.

My Dh & I have been ttc since his vas reversal last March. I have 3 children they are 12, 11 & 9, he has 2 , 7 & 11 yrs. They all get along so well, but we still would just like one of our own :(. The VR was a success and DH has had 2 normal SA since. The last SA was in May all normal.

I have never had a problem ttc, my first two children are 10.5 months apart. I found out when my daughter was 10 weeks old that i was 6 weeks pregnant and that was with fulltime breastfeeding and the mini pill. I always thought being so fertile when i was younger was such a burden :( now i wish i appreciated my fertility a lot more :(

We did manage to get pregnant last November which resulted in a M/c in Dec on xmas eve the day before our wedding :( I also had a chemical pregnancy the month after. I have a history of recurrent miscarriages that was my 5th m/c. Needless to say we have not had much luck. I know we have not been ttc for as long as many of you here and i take my hat off to you all.  This struggle with infertility has been so so hard. I am not the wife, mother i usually am. I feel like it has sucked me dry. I am also a registered nurse/midwife, but i am only working one day a week in a sexual health clinic at the moment. I had to take break from being a midwife last year as it was just too tough with our ttc journey.

The good news is I went to see a an RE back in May, who has agreed to help us with assisted conception. He doesnt think we should try IUIs as DH sperm has already proven it can meet the egg so its ivf. I wanted to try a few more cycles first, but its been 3 more with no success. I even tried clomid last month on the sly and that didnt work.

My next appt with the RE is this Thursday to do all the pre-ivf bloodwork and consult . I have everything crossed that it goes well.

I have so many questions but no idea what to ask, if that makes sense :(

Sarah

Photobucket
Sarah 33 Brad 36

trying for one of our own!

#4 for me, #3 for DH

TTC 12 ++ months

- March 2009 - Vas Reversal, SA normal

- Dec 2009 BFP but m/c @ 5.5 weeks

- July 2010 Clomid 50mg Days 5-9 BFN

- September 2010 - hoping to try our first ivf cycle

Photobucket

Sarah 33 Brad 36

trying for one of our o

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-03-2010 - 1:43pm

Hello :)

I am new here as well and in a similar situation as you, my hubby and I are trying to have that one together. I have 2(13and12), he doesn't have any. He considers mine

Trying to have our own.

#3 for me #1 for him.

TTC :   9 years

Factor me: blocked tubes/ tube removed January 2010

him:  perfect/ evrythings good

IVF#1: started cycle end of

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-04-2010 - 1:00am

Hi Simone,

thanks so much for your reply! Im so glad there are other blended families out there who understand why would just like to add one more of own to our happy family. I dont think our friends and family understand at all. When DH had his vas reversed last year we had a

Sarah 33 Brad 36

trying for one of our o
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-04-2010 - 3:48pm

Luckely I didn't run in to ppl who wont understand yet! I don't know if I would have any patients for that nonsense, looking at all the stress that already comes from trying to have a baby! Now you need friends/ppl who are willing to support you guys!

Just try to ignore those things and focus on what you guys want and why you guys want it! Just because there will be one more don't mean the other children will have to suffer now!

As far as my 2 frozen blasts go, I think they will do both, due to me having one failed IVF and the fact that I am 35 years old. Fact is that this is what I want them to do. I want them to transfer my 2 snow babies :) I am going to pray for one, but if I should be blessed with twins, then I'll be ok with that!

Good luck at your appointment tomorrow. I got to go in, too! I'll find out whether my blood is ok or not. Prayers are much needed here!

Wishing you a great day/evening

Simone :)

Trying to have our own.

#3 for me #1 for him.

TTC

Trying to have our own.

#3 for me #1 for him.

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-05-2010 - 2:28pm

Hi, I am in a similar situation.

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-05-2010 - 8:47pm

Hi Debbie,

Wow we have a similiar situation. I am sorry that your DH VR didnt go so well, but from what i have heard they always get sperm on aspiration! we were given that option first, instead of the VR do a one off cycle of ivf with sperm aspiration. How i wish we chose that option instead 16months ago. We probably would have a baby in arms right now :(

How old are all yours & DH

Sarah 33 Brad 36

trying for one of our o
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-05-2010 - 8:51pm

Simone - I hope your bloodwork went well! When do you get the results? I think you have made the right decision to tfr both of your snow babies!

I asked my RE about tfring 2, he said he would tfr 2 in my case if thats what i really wanted. I said not really but just with my m/c history maybe i would have more of a chance if you put 2 in. He said no its the opposite, if he puts one good emby in and one bad emby in, i will likely miscarry both embys. So i will go for one this cycle. If this first cycle doesnt work and i am lucky enough to have a couple of frozen snow eggies then i will ask for 2 to be put in!'

What is your next step now?

Sarah

Photobucket
Sarah 33 Brad 36

Sarah 33 Brad 36

trying for one of our o
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-06-2010 - 9:49am

Hi Sarah :)

Yes, you maybe should try 1 at first in your case! I'll pray for you that your first try will be a success! If not that, then that you'll have some embryos left!!

My blood work came back ok! Now the doc. thinks it might of been my estrogen level that could have been the reason for me not getting pregnant the first time. She said that my estrogen level was very high right before they took me off the stimulations and that this sometimes can have the same effect as the birth controll pill. I am kinda wondering why they didn't make sure that my estrogen levels aren't that high nomore before they transferred the embryos, since they obviously knew that this can happen!?

Anyway, this is to late now. Nothing that they or us can do about it now.

Next steps are, whenever hubby and I are ready to do the frozen transfer( that's a money question now), is for them to do more tests. Doc. said she wants to give me estrogen patches and some other hormones to see how the outline of my uterus reacts to that. Then they take me off that stuff, I would get my periods, then put me back on some hormones and then FET! But like I said, we'll have to save the money first now. It will be ONLY $2000 that we would need this time, but after paying for the first cycle and having 2 kids in the house that go back to school this month, it will be a few month before we can afford that! :( Gotta try to be patient

Trying to have our own.

#3 for me #1 for him.

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-15-2010 - 1:35am

My dh

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-15-2010 - 4:53am

Simone - maybe if you get your estrogen levels right you wont need that FET! I understand about the money factor. We have enough to do our first cycle but finding the money to do more cycles if needed is going to be tough!

Debbie - i constantly wish we did an ICSI cycle instead of the VR, i feel like we have wasted 18 precious months. Cant wait to hear how your mock cycle goes, gl & hope it all goes well!

afm

Sarah 33 Brad 36

trying for one of our o
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-31-2010 - 9:56am

Hey you, how have you been?

About the estrogen levels. I will need the transfer either way, my tubes have been removed January 2010. They been blocked beyond repair! :-l

I'll wait until around February-March next year, and then I will get started with whatever my doc. needs to do before the FET.

I have two blasts frozen, supposely blasts are having a higher chance for a pregnancy. I'll see I guess.......

Hopefully I will

Trying to have our own.

#3 for me #1 for him.

Pages