Only one follie..:-(

iVillage Member
Registered: 03-09-2011
Only one follie..:-(
Wed, 03-16-2011 - 1:07pm

I just got back from my RE. I am day 5 of stim and he only saw one follicule (9mm). He says if the three other possible follies don't grow by Friday then we should probably cancel the cycle.
I am surprised br the news and very sad.
On previous u/s (before stim) he saw 10 possible follicles.
I am preparing (mentally) for a cancel but trying to maintain some hope. This sucks! Plus I still bleeding from the BCinduced period, seems my estrogen just won't go up fast enough. :-(

Has anyone else thought about the egg donor option?
I'm almost 41 and egg donor is what my RE suggested (prior to me trying this cycle).

Feels like egg donor may be my only option...

Thoughts....??? :-(

iVillage Member
Registered: 05-09-2005
Wed, 03-16-2011 - 7:18pm

HI Kathleen

I'm so sorry you are going thru this - I just went thru this in Feb.


Me, 38, dh, 35

3 IUI's - BFN

IVF #1 - Jan '08 - BFP - beautiful baby boy born 10/10/08

IVF cycle #2 - TTC

iVillage Member
Registered: 09-02-2010
Thu, 03-17-2011 - 12:27pm
Hi Kathleen,
After years of trying and 4 failed IVFs, we used donor eggs this last cycle and I got a BFP. I go for my 3rd beta and first ultrasound on Friday. Initially I had mixed emotions about donor eggs, but it soon passed and instead I had more hope than ever before. My donor was awesome and was truly doing it for the right reasons. She was the donor that was recommended by the nurses because she had great cycles and was easy to work with. Well, they were right and now I finally can say I am pregnant! My RE met with us before we decided to use a donor and he made it a lot easier.....saying that all it is is a tiny strand of DNA being donated...... He set our mind at ease and I am just estatic to being finally moving forward!! Good luck! Keep us posted!
3 failed ivf
1 failed donor ivf
4 previous miscarriages
iVillage Member
Registered: 01-11-2008
Thu, 03-17-2011 - 1:25pm


Its still early other might respond.

----"Never give up on something that you can't stop thinking about every second of every day."----


iVillage Member
Registered: 03-09-2011
Thu, 03-17-2011 - 2:02pm

Thanks for your replies ladies.

It is really helpful to read your responses!

I am both hopeful that there maybe good news (a small miracle?) on Friday and yet also preparing for a possible cancel.

I am also wonderinhg if there might be another protocol my RE might use for me........

My husband and I are talking about donor eggs. I think it is a good possiblity for us...we shall see...

I will post an update on Friday after I see my RE.

I am not telling many people about what we are doing right now (IVF) so it is so incredibly helpful to have these boards and ladies like you. Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!


iVillage Member
Registered: 09-17-2008
Thu, 03-17-2011 - 2:24pm

Kathleen, I posted this for someone else last week, thought it might encourage you. While it's certainly not the norm, by Day 5 I also had only one follie. I stimmed reallllly slowly, but as long as my E2 kept climbing, my RE told me I should keep the faith. While many REs would have cancelled me by Day 10 with an E2 < 500, my RE was happy that it was still going up, and by Day 12, it really took off.

Here was my progress for my successful cycle in December 2009:

Day 5
Follicles: 12mm, a few <9mm which my clinic doesn't even count
E2: 98.5

Day 8
E2: 162

Day 11
E2: 239

Day 14
E2: 694

Day 16
E2: 987

Day 18
E2: 1,334

6 eggs retrieved
5 fertilized
4 still going on Day 3
3 embryos graded as excellent
2 embryos initially implanted

1 healthy, awesomely fantastic baby boy born in August 2010 :)

Best of luck! Just keep a really open dialogue with your RE -- other REs may have cut me off at Day 10, like I said above. It blows my mind that my little boy might not exist if not for my particular REs patience. If your RE wants to cancel you tomorrow, ask for your E2 levels throughout the cycle and see if they're going up at a nice pace. If they are, definitely talk to your RE about it before cancelling! KUP!

iVillage Member
Registered: 03-09-2011
Fri, 03-18-2011 - 11:28pm
Hi again!
Here is my update. Both good and not so good news.
I still have one large rogue follicle (12mn) today. So, the IVF cycle has been cancelled, but it has been switched to an IUI cycle instead. Call me crazy, but I am happy with that, since I expected I was going to have to stop the IVF and do nothing at all.
So our chances drop from ~ 12% down to ~ 5%.
Still low but better than nothing...

Now, the good news! I also had 4 other they were not as big "mature" as the one big follicle, but at least they were there!! RE says there might be some protocols to try with me to target my "slow responder" status.

So, despite the change of plans, I am pretty optimistic about these events. I guess a lot of it really does have to do with prespective, expectation and attitude.

I am pleased we get to do something with this cycle and I have hope for future cycles (IVF) too.

Thanks so much for your support! It has made a world of difference!!
Thanks for sharing the details of your stim cycle and your wonderful outcome!

iVillage Member
Registered: 01-11-2008
Sat, 03-19-2011 - 11:04am

Good Luck with your IUI.

----"Never give up on something that you can't stop thinking about every second of every day."----