Mommy and Baby Updates 5/26-6/1

iVillage Member
Mommy and Baby Updates 5/26-6/1
Mon, 05-26-2008 - 12:04pm
How are you?
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-28-2008 - 7:17pm

Hello All! It has been a crazy week! I can't believe Rachel is a week old already!
We got home from the hospital on Friday. It felt so good to be home! Rachel was slightly jaundice so they sent us home with a bilirubin light bed that she had to lay on whenever she wasn't eating or being changed. That was a bummer because we couldn't snuggle all day like I wanted. But, she slept on that thing like a champ! The first night home she would wake up to eat about every two to three hours, but then went right back to sleep again. As the week goes on, she has developed a pattern of cluster feeding in the evening and keeping us up until midnight or one, and then sacking out for about four hours and then waking up to feed and going back to sleep again for another three hours or so. On the whole, she's letting us sleep pretty well. DH and I are taking shifts so that we both aren't too sleep deprived.

The breast feeding thing has been difficult. Because of the jaundice we had to make sure she was eating often to get the fluids through her so that her levels would come down. Since my milk wasn't coming in yet, she was getting frustrated at the breast because I was engorged and I have really flat nipples so it was difficult to latch. So I did what we did with DD and I pumped and gave it to her in bottles. She sucked that down in no time! We've supplemented a little with formula, but now that my milk is in, she's getting mostly breast milk. I've tried putting her to the breast again, but she has gotten lazy and doesn't want to latch anymore. Honestly, I'm ok with that. I had the same issue with DD and I pumped and gave it to her in bottles for 7 months. It feels natural to me and I love knowing exactly how much she is getting. Plus DH can feed her (DD has even fed her too!) and I'm not freaking out and stressed out in the middle of the night because she won't feed. I think it's the perfect set up for us.

The home care nurse came on Sat to check her out and she took some blood to the lab to check the bili levels again. Thankfully, she only needed to be on the light bed for one day so Sat afternoon, we got to snuggle her all we wanted!

Rachel is a really easy and mellow baby (so far). She is eating 3-4 ounces every 2-4 hours and pooping like a champ! She sleeps most of the time, so DD isn't too excited about her at the moment. "She's kind of boring" right now. :) DD is adjusting ok to her sister. She had a heart to heart talk with DH the other morning before I got up and she said that she felt she was getting enough attention from DH, but not from me. (Sigh) So yesterday, I took her to swimming lessons, and we baked cookies and painted her nails. I think after that she's feeling better. That's the hardest part of going from one kid to two...making sure the first one feels loved and appreciated. Today her grandma took her to a Nature center and is having her over for a dinner so we got a break and only had to take care of the baby. I managed to sneak in a 4 hour nap! It was heaven!

I'll post pics in the next few days or so...Today is the first day I've been back on line since she was born and I realized that the pics that DH posted on our gallery only showed one of me, and it wasn't too flattering. :) I suppose you might want to see WHO you've been talking with all of these months. I'll get pretty-fied one of these days and we'll take some pics to share.

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-28-2008 - 8:19pm

Hi Jen,

So glad to hear the Rachel is off the bili lights!

Photobucket