QOTD 3/18

iVillage Member
QOTD 3/18
Fri, 03-18-2011 - 9:34am

Question of the day 3/18...

Gardens, do you have one? and, what do you plant? OR would you like one? and, what would you like to plant?

Powered by CGISpy.com

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-18-2011 - 9:38am
this is a complicated question for me.

We bought a place with a little garden full of strawberries - YUM!

So last year I thought I'd LOVE a garden so I can grow and then make my own baby food, we planned it out, and it was huge, we planted everything with my dad's help - carrots, sugar snap peas, 3 kinds of tomatoes (regular, roma, cherry), green onions, butternut squash, acorn squash, corn, pickles, cucumbers, peppers and etc, it was HUGE. Then Landon was stillborn and I just could NOT go out there - I just couldn't do it and we ended up with radishes and a few ears of corn, nothing else made it because I couldn't bring myself to go out there and tend to it.

I have always wanted a garden of my own, I'm thinking this year I may try again, but on a smaller scale - maybe tomatoes, pickles, and corn and that's it. we'll see how that works for me. And if all else fails, we still have the strawberries ;)

Powered by CGISpy.com

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-18-2011 - 10:16am
Hi Torie,

I do container gardening. We own a double-wide, but don't own the land, so I refuse to do a garden garden, if you know what i mean... but I always do some containers of peppers (green, jalapeno, habanero, serrano, and anaheim- yup, I love peppers), tomatoes, onions, cukes and carrots.

I did have more going back in 2007 and 2008 and the last 2 years after the miscarriage I didn't do much, but this year I'm getting back into it again. It's time.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-18-2011 - 11:11am

Oh, I want a veggie garden SO badly! I have been asking for one for the past few years and I'm going to beg and plead yet again. I would do it myself, but I have no idea how to work a rototiller (and I know my dad has said that they are a bear to handle). And I would have to erect a fence of some sort because we have some really obnoxious rabbits in our area (they completely destroyed some expensive bushes we put in a couple years ago for privacy). We also seem to have random, wandering people in our neighborhood who like to take things that don't belong to them. So, if I had a fence, it might deter someone wandering through the yard in the middle of the night?

I would love to plant things like leaf lettuce, tomatoes, zucchini, a pumpkin, yellow squash, and maybe some broccoli.

I DO have a flower garden in the front of my house that we plant with impatiens and marigolds, though. I love the pretty colors against our boring colored house.

*Edited because I forgot to add what I wanted to plant

Photobucket Visit my Blog with
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-18-2011 - 11:16am
Love, love, love strawberries! I think I would plant strawberries, but I've heard they can take over and we don't have a big yard at all.
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-18-2011 - 11:23am
Courtney, I would love to do more with container gardening. We tried tomatoes a couple years ago, and we got a few tomatoes, but we were finding that the random, wandering person (people?) were coming on our property and taking them right off the vine. We literally left for an hour one day. Before we left, I asked my DD if she wanted to pick the one that was ripe and she said, "I'll do it when we get back home" - when we returned home, it was gone. I talked with a number of people and they said that animals really aren't fans of tomatoes because the plants themselves have a deterring smell, so I imagine that the only "animal" that stole a tomato from my DD (it was her project to grow the tomatoes) was a human.

**side note: I thought it was just a one-time incident, but we just had someone go through our recycling bin last night and things were strewn everywhere, our bin was across the street, and all the metal cans and every bit of our paper recycling was missing. So, now we're hesitant to have anything out for people to potentially take, whether it be food or non-food items. Sorry, that has not much to do with container gardening, but I wish people were more respectful of things that are on people's personal property - INCLUDING container gardens. LOL! :) I'm glad you have so much success with your containers!

Maybe we'll try the containers this year if my DH doesn't help me build a garden and fence in our back yard. I'll just have to hide the containers behind my garage and make sure that they aren't "out of sight, out of mind" for me! :)
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-18-2011 - 1:58pm
Oh no Tee! That's rotten of them to do! :(

I will say that deer seem to love gardens, as do woodchucks and rabbits. I've seen deer strip a tomato plant, so I don't know how reliable the info you got was?

I hope that you do try container gardening again. I'm lucky in that I live about 10 miles outside of town in a rural area and have terrific neighbors, so I don't have to worry about one of them taking stuff.

The one year I got 3 separate "harvests" off my green pepper plants. It was awesome. :) I've found that I like the container gardening because if I need to, I can move things around if they want more light, or need protection from a storm, etc. I would love to try strawberries, but the deer are pretty into them around here. My best friend is constantly warring with them to keep away from her strawberries, lol.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-18-2011 - 3:11pm
Courtney,

I'm guessing it wasn't deer in broad daylight in a neighborhood where our back yard butts up to a major highway and where it only took the one ripe tomato and left all the other green ones. LOL! But, no, I didn't know that there were animals that like tomatoes plants. Interesting. Makes me definitely want to make sure that if we do have a garden in the ground, rather than in containers, that we fence the garden in.

That's awesome that you got so many chances to pick your peppers! And definitely - I like that you can move your plants around in containers to get the best sunlight! And we did move ours into our garage a couple times when there was a bad storm (we get some nasty winds that will even knock over a heavy container like that!)