Diagnosis: "Mild" Septum

iVillage Member
Registered: 03-21-2007
Diagnosis: "Mild" Septum
15
Wed, 08-11-2010 - 2:13pm

Just got back from my hysteroscopy.

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Registered: 03-25-2010
Fri, 08-13-2010 - 10:01pm

Aryn,

I think to get a second opinion you could do one of two things: 1) ask your doc to recommend someone or 2) if you have someone in mind, such as the other doc on the list, directly contact the doctor's office. Tell the nurse/scheduler/receptionist you are looking for a second opinion on the diagnosis/plan. Take any images you have to that appointment and explain everything to the new doc. If you don't have the images already from testing you have had done you can just ask for copies from your current doctor. It's your medical record and you have a right to those images even if it's purely that you want to look at them in the comfort of your living room. I ask for copies of my stuff just to have them myself. It's up to you if you want to tell your doctor you are thinking of getting a second opinion. If he's not sure of the diagnosis he may welcome a 'second set of eyes' so to speak. Do what you feel comfortable with...it's your body, your health, your future. It sounds like your doctor would support you and would not take offense to a second opinion. HTH.

Lydia

Me(30), DH(30)...Our TTC journey:

~1993: Dx of bicornuate uterus (BU) on u/s

September 2003: begin wedded bliss! (on BCP)

Fall 2007: HSG results consistent with BU

Fall 2008: here we go, bye-bye BCP

November 2008: DH in hospital, ?CP/horrid AF

Winter 2008: back on BCP

Spring/Summer 2009: last chemo, radiation for DH

January 2010: bye-bye BCP, waiting

March 2010: green light to TTC

April 2010: BFP (4/1), beta ~900 (4/2)

May 2010: m/c (5/30)

June 2010: regrouping, septum (SU) vs. BU

July 2010: looks like surgery this fall


Daisypath Anniversary tickers



Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Photobucket

Photobucket



Photobucket

Photobucket

<a href="http://s774.p

iVillage Member
Registered: 03-21-2007
Fri, 08-13-2010 - 3:06pm

Lydia,


Just checked out the list of doctors on the database and mine is on there!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Registered: 03-25-2010
Thu, 08-12-2010 - 7:37pm

Aryn,

I'm glad the blog was helpful and you received a reply to your post! Did you check out the list of doctors? Was yours on there?

Booooo to the painful part of your procedure! I'm so glad that is done. My DH wasn't there for mine. My DH doesn't like going with me to those appointments. I think it creeps him out and he doesn't like to miss work.

Argg! Why do doctors talk so fast when they are telling you stuff? So annoying. It really helps to have someone there to hear the news. So hard to know that ahead of time.

Thank you for your kind wishes. Hey, if you decide to have the surgery next month we might be getting that done around the same time. That just hit me. Please KUP.

Lydia

Me(30), DH(30)...Our TTC journey:

~1993: Dx of bicornuate uterus (BU) on u/s

September 2003: begin wedded bliss! (on BCP)

Fall 2007: HSG results consistent with BU

Fall 2008: here we go, bye-bye BCP

November 2008: DH in hospital, ?CP/horrid AF

Winter 2008: back on BCP

Spring/Summer 2009: last chemo, radiation for DH

January 2010: bye-bye BCP, waiting

March 2010: green light to TTC

April 2010: BFP (4/1), beta ~900 (4/2)

May 2010: m/c (5/30)

June 2010: regrouping, septum (SU) vs. BU

July 2010: looks like surgery this fall


Daisypath Anniversary tickers



Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Photobucket

Photobucket



Photobucket

Photobucket

<a href="http://s774.p

Avatar for dani_d
iVillage Member
Registered: 04-03-1998
Thu, 08-12-2010 - 1:26pm

Oh Wow, Aryn, that's a tough call. I think I would agree with your RE...see if you get another BFP and if you, God forbid, lose another one...go for the surgery. If it can possible help...do it. Of course, the decision's up to you, and if you and your dh are open to adoption...then that's a wonderful choice....for you AND the child!


But..... OUCH!!!!!! That sounded like a PAINFUL procedure!

iVillage Member
Registered: 10-08-2009
Thu, 08-12-2010 - 12:10pm

Aryn - Ugh...sorry about DH not offering any input. IDK, but it seems to be that way with us, too - Especially when it comes to things regarding TTC, how we handled the mcs, when and if we did the procedure...things pertaining specifically to "my body," I guess. All he wanted to know was what days to take off of work and how much he was paying for it...haha. I hope that once you have made the decision (sucks you have to do it alone), that DH is 100% supportive.

Maybe it would be worth it to just call the RE who mentioned it and tell him that it has been going around and around in your head. Tell him that too much was thrown at you yesterday and you aren't sure that you understand it all. Maybe he'll do a teleconference, e-mail dialogue back and forth or better, bring you in just to sit in his office and go over it all. You would be more prepared, take notes, and get a clearer picture of how mild or severe it is before you resign yourself to the procedure.

PS - I don't recognized that opening band either. They may be local, I'm not sure. I'll look into it, though. I'm still trying to talk DH into it. He is more a metal head, Pantera T-shirt kind of guy than a Sons of Bill kind of guy, but hey...that's what relationships are about right? Compromise and Sacrifice! HAHA ;)

Correena


Our

Correena


Our (brief) History of TTC:
October 2004 - Met DH in NY
July 2005 - Move
iVillage Member
Registered: 03-21-2007
Thu, 08-12-2010 - 11:03am

Lydia - yes!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Registered: 03-21-2007
Thu, 08-12-2010 - 10:56am

Correena,


I am thinking the same thing.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Registered: 03-25-2010
Wed, 08-11-2010 - 4:42pm

Aryn,

I think I may have been a little caught up in my story there. Sorry.

So, bottom line, I think you need to do whatever is going to give you good sleep at night, KWIM? I wish your RE had given you more to go on.

Like I said, maybe your RE is thinking you may not need surgery since it's "mild". It sounds like your RE was saying it's very close to arcuate (? spelling) and hard to tell for sure. Arcuate is a normal variation and does not need surgery.

Was the yahoo group blog helpful?

I wish I had *the* answer for you. Please know that I support you no matter what you do with this difficult decision.

((HUGS))

Lydia

Me(30), DH(30)...Our TTC journey:

~1993: Dx of bicornuate uterus (BU) on u/s

September 2003: begin wedded bliss! (on BCP)

Fall 2007: HSG results consistent with BU

Fall 2008: here we go, bye-bye BCP

November 2008: DH in hospital, ?CP/horrid AF

Winter 2008: back on BCP

Spring/Summer 2009: last chemo, radiation for DH

January 2010: bye-bye BCP, waiting

March 2010: green light to TTC

April 2010: BFP (4/1), beta ~900 (4/2)

May 2010: m/c (5/30)

June 2010: regrouping, septum (SU) vs. BU

July 2010: looks like surgery this fall


Daisypath Anniversary tickers



Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Photobucket

Photobucket



Photobucket

Photobucket

<a href="http://s774.p

iVillage Member
Registered: 10-08-2009
Wed, 08-11-2010 - 4:35pm

Aryn - If it were me, I would go ahead and try this month. You know from previous experience that you can have a healthy pregnancy. By the doctor saying "mild" to not even knowing if that's what it is, I wouldn't waste what could be "your cycle." At least if you do get your BFP this cycle you will know going into it that you have the septum(?) and when it gets closer to term, they may have to monitor you closer and deliver earlier. Now, especially at a good hospital, a pre-mature delivery, while not ideal, is not the worst thing, and is really very manageable.

I went to see an IF specialist at Southeastern Fertility which is the best Fertility doctor in the state of SC for the diagnosis and the surgery. He is the one who provided the "statistics" that I passed on to you.

Again, my septum was moderate to severe. After 2 late term losses I knew that that was a major contributing factor, and in my head there wasn't an option not to have the procedure. And with my situation forfeiting 2 months for 80% chance at a full term healthy pregnancy wasn't a problem for us. It meant more to know that when we were able to try again we would have such a greater chance of a baby in the end than trying in those 2 months for another loss.

This is all just my opinion and my experience. I know that your situation isn't exactly the same. And, Like Lydia suggested, a second opinion can't hurt.

I wish you the best of luck for this cycle, with the decision that you are now facing and for your future TTC journey. Please let me know if I can help any more.

(PS. I know that you are coming to Charleston Labor day weekend, and while that is still far out, I could recommend a great doctor here in town that could take a look at it for ya ;))

Correena


Our

Correena


Our (brief) History of TTC:
October 2004 - Met DH in NY
July 2005 - Move
iVillage Member
Registered: 03-21-2007
Wed, 08-11-2010 - 4:21pm

Correena,


Thanks for sharing your experience.

Photobucket

Pages