FSH 12.6, is there hope for me?

iVillage Member
FSH 12.6, is there hope for me?
Mon, 09-13-2004 - 12:43am
Hi,

I have an fsh of 12.6, tried two cycles of clomid unsuccessfully, and have had a consultation with an RE. She was very negative, and suggested I go straight to IVF. I am willing to do that, but wanted to try injectibles only first, then if that fails, do IVF. But I have been doing alot of reading both in books and on the internet, and everything I read is very very negative for someone with an fsh above 10. Does anyone know anyone who has conceived with an fsh of 12 or higher? Also, is there anything that can help reduce the fsh? I have read that accupuncture has been shown to lower fsh, and I am thinking about trying that. I just don't want to waste time on injectibles if I shouldn't, and I don't want to go straight to IVF without trying anything else, and yet I'm terrified that my fsh will go even higher if I waste even two months with injectibles.

Any of your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-13-2004 - 9:22am

Hello and welcome to the board.

Cathie

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-13-2004 - 1:42pm
There are two resources you should check out. The first is the Infertility Cure by Randene Lewis and then the other one is Inconceivable (can't think of the author). Randene's book is amazing and it addresses all sorts of traditional chinese medicine approaches to reduce FSH. It is a bit confusing in places, but I think it will be worth your time to read it. I was so inspired I've made an appointment to go to her clinic in Houston, Eastern Harmony. That's at the end of October. In the meantime, I'm taking very seriously her diet and lifestyle recommendations. I'm 44 and I don't want to jump to using donor eggs/IVF but am really struggling with whether it's too late. But I know that I won't be able to live with myself if I don't try everything I can think of.

sarah

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-13-2004 - 2:14pm

Sarah thanks for listing the books those were the two I was thinking of and for some odd reason could not remember the name.

Cathie

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-13-2004 - 11:34pm
Hi,

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I have seen those books mentioned on other postings on this site, and so I went ahead and ordered them just now. I will also look up high fsh here on the board. I just want to find out as much as I can, I really want to use my own eggs and will do whatever I need to be able to do that. I made an appointment with an accupuncturist who said he could help me, I will start that next week, and signed up for a weekly yoga class to help keep my stress level down, as I know stress can negatively affect you. I am looking forward to reading the diet recommendations in that book, I have been wondering if I should be doing anything differently diet-wise. What an involved process this is!! I feel like I've just been tossed into a whole new world, before I was just taking Clomid and thinking it would work, now I'm in a new world of tests and expensive procedures and worry, it can really consume me if I'm not careful!! I find that I want everything done right now, hurry hurry hurry, and yet I realize it doesn't work that way, I need to have a lot of patience. Anyway, thanks again for your helpful advice.

Dorothy
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-14-2004 - 12:11pm
Just wanted to let you know that with my one good pregnancy, my fsh level was 13 on day 2. My RE says he has patients with fsh of 20+ who still go on to have viable pregnancies. We did 2 rounds of clomid and one shot of HSG then had intercourse(no IUI or IVF), when we had a successful pregnancy with the fsh of 13 so... there are success stories out there. Good luck to you.

Michele
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-15-2004 - 1:57am
Michele, thank you SOOO much for your inspiring words!!! I have been looking and hoping to find someone else who had a high fsh and still got pregnant! I know at the clinic where I have my consultation (and will receive treatment) they told me they don't just look at the fsh, they look at many other factors and it is not only the fsh that determines your chances for pregnancy, but after reading so many negative things about high fsh, I just started getting more worried and more stressed. I really needed just to hear something positive, as I know I can have a positive attitude about this whole process if I know it's worked for someone else in my situation. Thanks for making me feel better!

Dorothy

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-15-2004 - 7:16am
Dorothy,

I think you have a great chance of success... at this point my FSH is 19 and my doctor thinks I can still have a good pregnancy, since I was just pregnant in May, he is pretty sure the FSH factor won't have much of an effect on us. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Michele
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-16-2004 - 12:33am
Michele,

That's very encouraging....will you be doing injectibles only again, with intercourse?Or IUI? When will you be doing it? I'll be thinking of you and hoping for a good outcome. I am having a second consultation with a new RE on Oct. 8, at a large university medical center, so am hoping for a more encouraging plan than the last clinic I consulted at.

Dorothy
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-22-2004 - 9:04pm
My fsh is 18.5 and after several cycles of clomid and perganal my dh and i just decided to use acupuncture and herbs and skip the shots in the butt. One of the reasons was because I was tired of the western medicine doctors sounding so negative about my high fsh level. The acupuncturist/herbalist we are now using has a high success rate helping older women with high fsh levels. I'm also following the suggestions in The Infertility Cure. Quitting coffee has been the hardest for me but I'm determined to follow the dietary suggestions. I feel better and healthier than I have in decades and my acupuncturist is very optimistic that we CAN get pregnant. Randine's book also warned about side effects using clomid/perganal so we decided to just go totally natural. We feel good about the decision and it's less stressful brewing up teas and having relaxing/healing acupuncture sessions instead of taking injectibles.

Sending you/all of us lots prayers and positive thoughts,

meels

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-24-2004 - 3:22am
Hi,

Thank you for the info. I am interested in hearing how this works for you - i.e., dietary changes and accupuncture. I am going to accupuncture once a week, and just started reading The Infertility Cure, so am planning to change my diet according to her recommendations. When you are able, please post a note re. your progress, as I really would love to hear how it's going.

I agree with you re. the negativity of many western medicine practitioners. I am still planning to use a fertility clinic and injectible meds, but I have had to spend a considerable amount of my mental energy staying positive, and/or trying to change my attitude to a more positive one, because of the many negatives that I read in fertility information sources - whether it is books, the internet, or wherever. It is a constant effort on my part to keep my positive attitude, and I know that is so important.

Lots and lots of luck to you,

Dorothy

Pages