Possible cancelled IVF cycle...

iVillage Member
Registered: 11-30-2003
Possible cancelled IVF cycle...
10
Wed, 07-28-2004 - 6:24pm
Going through my first IVF cycle...and it's been a disappointing process. Everything started out great. On 6/28, I began BCPs for 3 weeks. My day 3 tests were good (for me). On 7/19, I had an ultrasound & blood tests...all looked good. Started Gonal F on 7/23.

After 4 days of the Gonal F, I had an ultrasound & another blood test. Follicles are small and the E2 is low. My lining looks good...but I am still spotting...very light...but every day.

The nurse told me that if I don't stop bleeding by Friday and/or if the E2 levels don't take a big jump, they will cancel the IVF cycle. When I heard that yesterday, I was in shock. I've taken Gonal F before and responded well...for the IVF they more than doubled the dose I had been taking...don't know what may have caused this problem???

I did get the flu the 3rd week I was on BCPs...it was a pretty nasty one and I was really wiped out for 2-3 days. Could that be my problem?

If anyone has had an experience with a cancelled IVF session, please let me know. Really feeling down right now. I was prepared for the fact that I might not get a BFP from the IVF...but I never thought I wouldn't even get to the egg retrieval stage. Thanks for listening...

Margie

iVillage Member
Registered: 05-28-2003
Thu, 07-29-2004 - 9:59am

Margie did they tell you what your e2 level was?

Cathie

iVillage Member
Registered: 11-30-2003
Thu, 07-29-2004 - 7:05pm
Cathie: Thanks for your post. They told me the e2 number...I was so numb and shocked, I don't remember what they said. I know they said it should be at least 150 by that point and the number they gave me was less than 50...so it's way off the mark.

I am not on lupron at all. They had planned to give me Antagon (which I think does somewhat the same as lupron?) during the stim process as necessary. Your friend who had e2 problems...did they up the dosage of the stims or the Lupron? I am on a very aggressive dosage of Gonal F...so I don't know if I can take more (It's more than twice what I took/day for the successful IUIs I did...) That is a question I will ask the doctor. It's hard to understand why I would get 4-5 follicles when taking less Gonal F? I was wondering if I could take estrogen pills...

Anyway, I am going to see what news I get tomorrow. The bleeding seems to have stopped this morning (hoping is stays stopped...darn it!!) I'm wondering if the bleeding could be caused by being on BCPs for 3 weeks...really not sure.

Thanks so much for your note...really really appreciate it.

Margie

iVillage Member
Registered: 05-28-2003
Fri, 07-30-2004 - 10:11am

Margie my friends stim meds was upped.

Cathie

iVillage Member
Registered: 11-30-2003
Sat, 07-31-2004 - 6:56am
Hey Cathie: Thanks for your note.

Friday's u/s & blood test show the e2 rising (now up over 100)...however, that's still very low for this stage of my cycle. I looked back over my records for where the e2 was on my IUI cycles and the very lowest it was by this point was 325...most months it was higher. The u/s showed the follicles still too small to measure...blah!

Since the e2 is rising, they want me to stay on the stims until Monday and come back in for another u/s and blood test. Then, the RE will decide what way to go. I'd say my chances of a successful IVF cycle are very low...but I am hopeful to get one (or dare I dream for 2?) follicles so we can try an IUI.

I am going to ask the RE about the estrogen pills...not for this month, but maybe a future cycle. Hoping this is just one off cycle and that future months will be more like my prior cycles. Just need that one golden egg....

Wishing you luck with your fet cycle...when do you have your transfer? Sending you positive thoughts and baby dust...take good care.

Margie

iVillage Member
Registered: 05-28-2003
Mon, 08-02-2004 - 9:16am

Margie hope you get some great news today.

Cathie

iVillage Member
Registered: 11-30-2003
Mon, 08-02-2004 - 7:43pm
Cathie: You're not going to believe this. Went in for my u/s and e2...and was told they now see 6 follicles (4 at 13 & 2 at 12) plus some smaller ones, that are probably too small. My e2 is almost 400. Is it possible to have nothing on Friday and then this result on Monday? I am in shock.

So, I stay on the stims for 2 more days and go back on Wednesday for another u/s & e2 test. So long as 3 follicles are at 16, we'll proceed with the IVF.

Thanks for your kind thoughts...take good care.

Margie

iVillage Member
Registered: 05-28-2003
Tue, 08-03-2004 - 9:19am

Margie isn't it amazing what can happen from one appointment to the next.

Cathie

iVillage Member
Registered: 03-27-2003
Tue, 08-03-2004 - 9:56am
Margie -

Glad to here things are looking up. There is so much about all of this that is so unexpected and unexplainable. That's what gives me hope!

Hope to hear some more good news on Wednesday!

Chris

iVillage Member
Registered: 11-30-2003
Wed, 08-04-2004 - 5:05pm
Being cautiously excited...

The 6 follicles are all 13-16. They are continuing to have me take the stims and now I am also on Antagon. I now have to go everyday for u/s and blood work until we (hopefully...) have 3 follicles big enough for a retrieval. Keep your fingers crossed for me...thanks.

Margie

iVillage Member
Registered: 08-29-2004
Sun, 08-29-2004 - 12:16pm
Dear Marge,

Take heart, you are not alone. this is my first message on the site and I was just feeling same way as you are. I got to the egg retrieval stage, but out of three eggs taken, only one was mature. Even that failed to fertilize last Friday.

Worst still on my 40th birthday and my clinic only telephoned to inform me.

No counselling session yet except from my partner.

God knows we want them and he will give to us. Better to have a healthy baby than anything at all. I'm sure yoour Dr wants the best for you and can only do so under manageable situations.

Keep your fingers crossed like Im doing okay.

There is always a 'next'time. Worry or anxiety worsens the situation.

be strong.

lilly (UK)