40/37 TTC 6 mths/ovulex

iVillage Member
40/37 TTC 6 mths/ovulex
Wed, 07-19-2006 - 11:39am

Hi to all, new here. I am 40 with 4 children 21(B),18(B),16(B),15(G). Was married for 20 years. Now I am with a man for 3 years who has no children. He changes his mind whether he wants them or not. He is scared I think from being around teens, and doesn't know the joy of the beginning years. Anyway, I told him in the beginning of the relationship (within first 6 mths of dating that I wanted another when I am 41 or so. So, he knows I am trying, and hasn't said a word. Enough rambling, my question is: I am taking ovulex, has anyone else tried it? ?#2: I read alot about having babies later in life and the chances of abnormalities. Does anyone out there have Healthy children from previous relationships, and than had another over 40 that is also healthy. Are your chances higher, lower, or the same? ?#3: Do you have to get amnio? Aren't there blood tests that will show you the same thing? I remember having blood tests around 3mths with others for spina b. and something else. Ok enough for now. Also, are there any flight attendants out there who are 40+ and trying. Does altitude make a difference and make it more difficult to conceive?

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-19-2006 - 1:13pm
Hi Lillianna- Welcome to the board. I must tell you though, it is pretty slow around here. I have yet to find a good "over 40" active site. Anyway, I am also trying for a fifth. Mine are a bit younger (13,11,9,5) and I have had two losses in the past 2 years, so I feel pretty confident that I can still get pregnant on my own. I don't think the changing partners will make your chances less likely to conceive, but not knowing if your current partner is fertile could be a problem. Would he have a sperm count done? I would say, if you are not PG soon, have him checked out. Then you can concentrate on yourself and your fertility. Good luck.
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-19-2006 - 10:42pm

m/c mentioned

Hi Welcome to the board.....my name is Sarah and I hang out more at the IVF Board than here as I am attempting my second IVF. My egg retrieval is only hours away as i type this----scheduled for 7:30 am tomorrow morning.

I just turned 42 and this is my birthday gift.....it is also my final attempt at getting pg. w/ my own eggs. Don't know if we'll move to DE next or adopt or remain childless. I have a GREAT feeling about this cycle and hope I am not wrong !!!!!

I'll try to answer some of your questions.....

my question is: I am taking ovulex, has anyone else tried it? ?

I have not taken Ovulex but have seen it advertised. Presently I am doing acupuncture, eating as much organic food as possible, taking baby aspirin, Co-Enzyme Q-10 and Omega Fish Oils plus keto-7 DHEA. If this IVF doesn't work then I am going to TCM just to get my hormones back in balance since I have been taking fertility drugs for 2.5 years.

#2: I read alot about having babies later in life and the chances of abnormalities. Does anyone out there have Healthy children from previous relationships, and than had another over 40 that is also healthy. Are your chances higher, lower, or the same? ?

I had two miscarriages, one at 39 and one at 40 but I didn't get married until I was 38 so i don't have previous children. All I will say is that studies have shown that as a woman ages, so do her eggs and the chances of abnormalities increases also. Down's Syndrome and Trisomy-13 are much more common in older women. There have also been studies that show that chances of conceiving naturally or even with reproductive technology strongly decline after age 35---

#3: Do you have to get amnio? Aren't there blood tests that will show you the same thing? I remember having blood tests around 3mths with others for spina b. and something else.

If this IVF works, I am not planning on an amnio...too much risk of m/c. There are however blood tests to check for various problems...can't think off the top of my head what they are. I will do a blood test but not do anything invasive....I will trust in God as far as that goes and be blessed with what He gives me.

Also, are there any flight attendants out there who are 40+ and trying. Does altitude make a difference and make it more difficult to conceive?

How strange that you would ask that. I have been a Flight Attendant for the last 19 years and I truly believe that flying increases IF. F/A's have one of the highest incidences of m/c. Doctors will say no but if you also are an F/A then next time you do a trans-con flight, drink half of a bottle of H20 and then set it aside in the galley. Take a look at it after your 5 hour flight and it will most likely be a little bit collapsed from the pressurization.

In addition, the book "Getting Pregnant"-What Couples Need to Know by Lauersen and Bouchez stae that there is an increased risk for airline personnel due to overexposure to high-altitude radiation. Increased risk in females is m/c, premature labor and menstrual irregularities.

I can't tell you how many F/A's have had trouble conceiving. I contacted our union- AFA--- and asked if they would ever consider doing an IF survey for our work group but they are too busy fighting other things on Capitol Hill. I hope eventually to see something done regarding reproductive health of flight crews.

Hope that answered some of your ???'s-- have to get to bed. Big day tomorrow. Plus I have to get up and do my yoga before heading down to see how many eggs I can put in the basket. Sad thing is, last time they got 17...which is great for an old lady like me---but I need quality not quatity....wonder if flying the friendly skies has screwed up my chances....I have to have faith that it has not!

Take care and free to ask anything else. If I can help I will....

Good Luck !

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Jeremiah 29:11--"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord. "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you to give you
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-23-2006 - 12:52am

Tell me more about Ovulex? My RE tells me with my post menopausal hormone level's, I must get pregnant naturally (without Clomid etc) so if there is something out there which can get these 40 year old ovaries to start ovulating again I need it : )

Lee

Lee

IMG_4253.jpg image by bobandlee

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-23-2006 - 11:55pm
Hello to all, and thanks for the info. We were in the storm of ST. Louis and just got power on after 4 days. Thank you to the flight attendant out there. I will try again next week, as I have just had a normal period. I work with alot of girls who have worked into there 8th month (contract says 6mths) but alot of girls need to fly to make money. My significant other took an over the counter test from walgreens, and it says he is within range, but it does not specify mobility. We will try a couple more times and see what happens. I had the four others by 25 years old, no problems, but I guess we take things for granted and thinks age will not be a factor. Will I fly if I become preg. yes I will carry on like normal, just like the others. I have friends who are in their early 20s who miscarry all the time, so I am not so sure age is a factor, unless there is an abnormality. Everyone has their opinions on this. Well good luck to all. And to the flight attendant out there I have only been flying for 7 years, not sure if that will make a difference. 2 of my friends just married 38 and 39 and they just got married and preg. took awhile for them. they have been flying for 16 years. take care. Anna
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-11-2006 - 10:04pm
I had my first when I was 36, second when I was 39. I had an amnio with both as the first one was an xyy and so was the second one. If I get pg this time around, I will have another amnio. I would love to add a little girl to the fray and even the odds a little bit.
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-14-2006 - 9:13am
Good luck, I am still trying, and having had 4 I am thinking it may be DH. I do not want to go to Dr. yet... I will try at home couple more mths.