Ladies, please tell me about Clomid! m/c

iVillage Member
Ladies, please tell me about Clomid! m/c
Sat, 06-21-2003 - 1:22am
Hello Ladies! My name is Christine & I live in Milwaukee, WI. I turned 45 this month. Saw the RE today. I had a m/c at 28 dpo. My HCG was 7 today! Guess it does not get much lower than that. I also m/c in Nov. I don't seem to have much trouble getting pregnant, it is just staying pregnant. RE suggested trying Clomid to increase my chances of getting a "good" egg. I have heard that Clomid does not always work well on us older gals. Donor Eggs are out of the question. Are you monitored when you are on Clomid? Would I start with my next AF? RE says his record is a 47 yr old woman who got pregnant on her first Clomid cycle.

Thanks for your input.

Christine in Milwaukee

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-24-2003 - 12:02am
Hi Pat! Thanks so much for the info. I am definitely looking for a low-cost method!! I don't know if we will be able to afford the cost of injectibles. So we'll start w/ the clomid & see what happens. I'll be calling the RE's office tomorrow for more info. Do you have to be monitored while on clomid?

Christine

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-22-2003 - 7:51pm
Christine...

Some doctors don't prescribe clomid for women over NOT because it works any differently on older women vs. younger women but many doctors feel that older women need more aggressive treatments. Clomid has the same possible side effects no matter what age you are when you take it. At HIGH doses clomid can reduce EWCM which is needed for sperm to pass through the cervix and so most doctors will combine high doses of clomid with IUI and this resolves that problem The other negative side effect with clomid is the possible reduction in the lining but then this does not happen with everyone. So, personally, I feel because clomid is a low cost option it is certainly worth a try before moving onto injectibles. Clomid certainly worked for me as I got pregnant with clomid at age 44. Unfortunately the baby had no h/b at 8 weeks but that was certainly NOT anything to do with clomid.

The BIG difference between clomid and injectibles is in how they work. Clomid works by 'tricking' your brain into thinking your ovaries are having trouble and so the brain increases the amount of follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) it produces and prompts the ovaries to produce more follicles. The drugs used with injectibles ARE follicle stimulating hormone and this is injected directly into your blood stream. So, with clomid you are relying on your own body's ability to produce FSH and so the amount of FSH produced can't be controlled at all. WIth injectibles the amount of FSH put into your bloodstream IS controllable so depending on how you respond the dose can be altered. Also, injectibles tend to improve your other supporting hormone levels too and don't have the negative effects of clomid. I also got pregnant using injectibles and happily gave birth to Spencer when I was 46!

Great question! Glad you asked... check out our TTC Over 40 Website for more info on injectibles and clomid too! ~ Pat