Madelyn Anne is here

Avatar for duchessdina
iVillage Member
Registered: 03-08-2011
Madelyn Anne is here
Wed, 03-06-2013 - 3:03pm

I'm finally having a free moment to come on here and post the birth story.  We ended up naming the baby Madelyn Anne and she is just beautiful!  I had my water break at 11PM when I was sitting up watching TV.  It wasn't the gush of fluid, but more just leaking out.  I was worried I wouldn't know it it had really broke, but when it happened the fluid is thicker and it was way obvious what had happened.  I had some contractions on the way to the hospital and when I got there they said they were already 2-3 minutes apart.  The nurses had me doing a lot of walking to try to get more dilated, I was only 2cm when I arrived at the hospital.  I progressed pretty slowly at first and finally progressed to around 5cm when they checked me Saturday morning.  After that, I kept trying to walk, but started having lots of back labor that went from my low back to my upper butt on the right side.  I could handle the contractions perfectly fine, but the back labor was making it way too uncomfortable to walk.  I sat in the whirlpool for a while and that helped and I kept trying to walk and then go back to use the whirlpool.  Finally they gave me some fentanyl to help me sleep, but unfortunately the only one who slept was DH.  I got maybe 15 minutes of sleep at best, but I at least got some relief.  Finally I requested an epidural after trying to walk again and failing because it was too much because of the pain.  I was 7cm before the epidural and after they started the medicine I was quickly to 10 cm.  I ended up pushing for 3 hours and 15 minutes.  I'm not sure if it was because the epidural made the pushing less effective or if I would have pushed that long regardless.  Fortunately I didn't have the pain at that point, so I didn't really care.  I had Madelyn at 9:45 PM on the 23rd. She was 7lb 7.8 oz and 20 3/4 inches long.  I can hardly believe that she's already a week and a half old!  I was exhausted after being up for 36 hours straight.  Our first night home we were very thankful that we had gotten some rest in the hospital.  The first night was very rough and she was up most of the night!  We're just so happy to finally have her in our arms!  I'm still sending lots of baby dust to all you girls in the group, I hope you get your BFP quickly!