Find a Conversation
|Wed, 01-06-2010 - 9:34am|
So, I think I've mentioned this before sometime... the plan was to start TTC #2 in summer this year - or so I thought.
Lately, DH has expressed his strong opinion that we should NOT TTC this year, possibly not even next year, and he has also mentioned numerous times that he'd be happy to just have one child.
Now, don't get me wrong, I love Teddy to bits and I feel so lucky and blessed to have him. But I also feel I'm definitely not done having babies yet. The wish to have another baby becomes stronger every week; but so far as I thought we had a date set it didn't trouble me too much.
DH and I have had some serious talks and what worries me most is that he truly would be happy to just have Teddy. He says we've got one fantastic little bean and that to him feels "enough", why would we want to change what we have if it's good? He knows I'm upset by this and I've tried to explain how there's this burning desire for another baby, but I think he doesn't get it because he'd never feel something like that. I think it's part a "man-thing", they just don't get baby fever. He also feels that with Teddy, I very much got my own way as we'd originally agreed to TTC after our wedding in August (and ended up TTCing in May) because I was so anxious to get started; whereas I think he'd almost hoped TTCing would take a while so he'd have more time to adjust. Apart from that, DH is worried about our financial situation - due to the recession, the last year was pretty hard for him (he runs his own company). He managed to tick things over but he had to fight for every little job. Plus, he thinks we'd have to move into a bigger house before starting to TTC (we live in a 2 bed). I think that could wait - even until after the new baby was born, as babies don't take up that much space - but he doesn't agree.
For now we've struck a deal that we'll "negotiate" again in summer. While on one hand I completely understand his viewpoint, on the other hand I could cry with disappointment and also frustration, as I can't seem to find a way to convey to him how strongly I feel about it.
Has anyone been in the same or a similar situation? What do you think I could do or say to convince DH it's ok to TTC this year? Or do you think he has a point and we should postpone?