Debating buying a house - advice?
Find a Conversation
|Wed, 03-31-2010 - 1:42pm|
Any thoughts or idea for how to decide about this would be appreciated - I'm spinning in my own head.
DH and I have been looking to buy a house this spring/summer. We're in a (nice, well-located) two-bedroom apartment right now, and it's getting smaller as Patrick gets bigger.
We know what we want in a house, we know where we want it, and we know how much we can pay. But, I'm not sure I can have all three :) So, lat weekend we found a house that has most of what we want, for about 10% more than we want to pay, in a slightly less perfect location. It's actually a location a lot of people do want, but we'd been hoping to be a bit closer to public transportation since I work in the city. Note, these locations are all on a half-mile scale. But, we walk a lot of places, so being a half-milk up a hill instead of a flat block from the main street is a big difference.
Otoh, this house is walking distance two all three schools Patrick would attend, as well as the preschool I want him to go to. It's in a great family neighborhood, near a great sledding hill and two parks. Those things may well become more important t us in the coming years.
The house also does need some work, though it's totally livable as-is. But, being 10% over our desired price doesn't leave money to do much.
So, I can't decide if we should go for it, since it may well be the closest were going to find to our requirements, or try to hold out for something more perfect. It is priced appropriately, though we'd try to negotiate down some.
We've sent mail to request a second showing and I have a call into a mortgage broker. This could be an exciting week!