QOTW 11/1 - Where did your name come from?

iVillage Member
QOTW 11/1 - Where did your name come from?
Tue, 11-01-2011 - 11:05am

Are you named after someone? Did your parents choose it out of thin air?

And bonus: Did you use the same technique to name your kids/pets/cars/whatever?

by sara photo sigbysara.jpg

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-01-2011 - 11:50am
I was named after my Grandmother's mother (so my Great Grandmother), Sarah. My middle name was after a different Great-Grandmother as well, Beth.

I did not use the same technique to name. I did name Eloise after my Grandmother, whose name was Edith, but I didn't use her exact name. Neither Sully or Desmond were really named after anyone we just liked their names. Sully's middle name is the same middle name as my FIL's grandfather which was deliberate as well, but that is the closest we came to naming directly after someone.

Thank you for the sig Mary

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-01-2011 - 1:33pm

My first name was chosen just because they liked it. My middle name is after my great grandmother (Estelle). It's also my aunt's middle name, though her's is spelled incorrectly.

Peter's name was chosen semi-randomly. Sean picked out his middle name because he liked the meaning. His first name was my choice. A man I really respected died a few years ago. His name was Stone. My 4x-great-grandfather was also a stone carver. Peter means "the rock." (Random story: I actually dreamed about Stone the night before I went into labor. He called me from the dead and left me a voicemail on my cell phone. I deleted the message without listening. Then the day after we came home from the hospital, my mom found the card from his funeral service. We seriously considered at least calling Peter "Stone." I really believe he was calling to tell me to get ready, that Peter was on the way.)

My next boy will be Silas Timothy. MN after Sean's dad. First name represents my dad. I don't like his name, but he's a game warden, and Silas means "Man of the Forest."

As for others...one of the cats shares a name with my grandfather. It wasn't on purpose; he's just a Sam. We tried several names, and that one just happened. :)

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-01-2011 - 11:26pm

My four sisters and I are all names from the Bible.

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-02-2011 - 1:20am
I was named after my father's grandmother. They promised my granddad that the first girl born would be named after his mom if he got out the hospital before we were born (twins). He got out in Oct. we were born in Nov. Middle name at birth was Lea after my uncle Raymond Lee. It was later changed.

For my son, I wanted it to end with a "n" like my stepsons and wanted it not popular (not in top 1000) and to like the meaning and easily said/spelled. I asked James to help me name my son, and that night had a dream it started with a Z and was perfect. When I awoke the next morning was thinking of Z names and would ask him if he liked it to kick momma. Zaydren was the first name he did, and he kicked twice! It was perfect.

Powered by CGISpy.com
Thank you Dedi and Kelly for my
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-02-2011 - 9:07am
I love that they went in chronological order, Ruth! That's fantastic! :)
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-02-2011 - 10:08am
Great question. My parents chose my first name just because they liked it, and my mom spelled it with a "c" instead of "k" because she liked that all the letters lined up evenly. LOL My middle name is Renee which is my mom's name. I always liked that special connection to my mom, so I knew long before I became a mom that if I had a daughter, she would share Renee with me and my mom.

Fletcher's first name sort of came out of thin air, but we carefully chose his middle name. Cory and I read Dean Koontz's novel _From the Corner of His Eye_ together. In the book, you learn that Christ's disciple Bartholomew is considered the least known apostle, and the novel explores the idea of the profound influence of seemingly insignificant people and events. We loved that concept. (The book isn't religious in nature, but it does touch on some religious themes.) Anyway, we didn't like the sound of Fletcher Bartholomew, but Bartholomew is also known as Nathanael. Some Bible scholars, think one was a surname. We loved Fletcher Nathanael, so that was it.

From there, we decided that our sons would have the names of disciples. So Jonah became Jonah Matthew. Matthew is my favorite book of the Bible, too.

We loved the name Charlotte because it means "little and womanly" or simply "feminine," so it seemed perfect for a family with so many boys. My husband is one of four boys. His dad is one of six boys, and so far, there are five grandsons and Charlotte in the next generation. We also love the Charlotte character in Charlotte's Web. She is a wonderful example of friendship, loyalty, and resourcefulness.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-02-2011 - 10:58am
You just expanded my knowledge! I didn't know the existence of Rhoda until now! LOL! And BTW, Ruth is my favorite bible story... She seems like such a resourceful woman! And I always think her second marriage must have been a happy one. (always pictured Booz as older but sexy, and also really kind! LOLl!)

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-02-2011 - 12:24pm
Fun question - all the answers have been so interesting!

I was named after both my grandmothers (Alice and Mary). My parents didn't want to use their exact names, so they chose something similar/more modern (Alyssa and Marie).

For our children, we knew if we had a boy the middle name would be Michael since that is DH's middle name, as well as his father's. We didn't/don't want to have first names after someone in our family. When we were picking Evan's name, we had a list of about 10 boys names we really loved, and Evan seemed to fit him perfectly when we found out he was a boy. After the fact, we found out it means "young warrior" (which he proved during his two hospital stays!) and it also is the same as John in Ukrainian (my family background), which happened to my grandfather's name!