QOTW 11/1 - Where did your name come from?

iVillage Member
QOTW 11/1 - Where did your name come from?
Tue, 11-01-2011 - 11:05am

Are you named after someone? Did your parents choose it out of thin air?

And bonus: Did you use the same technique to name your kids/pets/cars/whatever?

by sara photo sigbysara.jpg
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-02-2011 - 9:27pm
I was born on the anniversary of my paternal grandfather's death, if I was a boy I would have been Fredrick, but I was a girl so they named me after his sister, my great-aunt Katherine.

Ray was named after XH's late father, whose name was Ramon but went by Ray. His middle name is my X's first name.

Teddy's middle name was picked before he was born - Wayne after my late brother. I decided on Theodore in the delivery room. I really like what it means, "divine gift". I like names that have strong meanings. While I didn't like the name Raymond I agreed w/ XH on it because of the meaning, "wise protector".

If Teddy had been a girl his middle name would have been Georgette after DH's late grandma. If we have a girl for #3 she'll be Veronica Georgette. Veronica means "bringing victory", I like that. It will be Roni for short, after my late step-dad.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-03-2011 - 7:00am
Liz, I love that you chose Peter because it means "stone"!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-03-2011 - 10:19pm

My first name is just a name my parents really liked.

~Em~

Mommy to Nate and expecting a little girl Nov. 2012

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-04-2011 - 3:26pm

Aside from going with a biblical theme (my siblings are Rebecca, Matthew, Mary, and Grace)I think my parents sort of picked my name out of the air--they prefered it without the h, possibly due to the Hall and Oates song, which was a hit at around that time:)

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-07-2011 - 10:27pm

Very cool to read everyone's name origins!

If I was a boy, I was to be named Jean-Philippe. Jean after my maternal grandfather John but with the French spelling and Philippe after my paternal grandfather. If I was a girl, I was going to be named Laurenza, which to this day I am still pissed my parents changed their mind because I have never met another Laurenza aside from my cousin in Australia!!

But, because of said cousin above, my dad said they couldn't have two girls with the same name in the family even though we live on different continents and I have THREE male first cousins on his side named Michael (THREE!!) so they went with Christine, which is my mom's middle name. My middle name is Nicole which was also a contender for my first name but my dad didn't like the NN Nikki. I like Christine, but I've been called everything from Chris, Chrissy, Christy, Kristin, Christina, so no one gets my name right and it is really annoying.

For our kids, we want names that are Turkish or European, and easy to spell and pronounce. Selin was suggested to us by two different Turkish friends of ours and I liked that it also sounded French so we could honor my side of the family. For her middle name, Chloe, I was cooking one day with olive oil and noticed the brand was "Chloe Farms" and thought to myself, "Chloe! Perfect!" I told DH and he liked it as well. Then we hemmed and hawwed for weeks on whether to spell it with a C or a K and which name to put first. We finally decided on Selin Chloe and it fits her perfectly. Thank goodness we put it as her MN because my ILs can't

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-07-2011 - 10:30pm

Mari - I keep meaning to ask my students named Mariana and Federico if they go by Mari and Fede. :-P

BTW, when's your big reveal?? I'm dying to know if you're having a Julia or Santiago!! :-D

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-08-2011 - 5:44am
LOL! Well, the girl probably is, because it's simply the easiest way to shorten it! But with the boy... We have a Canadian neighbor (no idea why a Canadian would choose to live here, but whatever!), and he calls Fede "Freddie", so I don't know!!! The big reveal... well, that was a disappointment! I was so sure I would know by now, but it turned out that my lame insurance only covers 3 u/s per pregnancy... We already are stretching things because I've had 2 u/s done already, so the OB wanted to wait until 22 weeks to order the next, because apparently, whatever it is he is interested in knowing about the baby, is better defined at 22w. Anyways... that would place the big reveal almost by the end of November!!! I'm so anxious too! I've convinced myself that this is a girl, so I'd like to know for sure, because in case it's a boy, I want to get adjusted to the change ASAP!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-08-2011 - 5:54am
Aww man! Sorry you have to wait even longer, Mari!

Do they have those independent u/s places where you can get 3D and such? We ended up going to a place like that when Selin wouldn't cooperate during the gender reveal and my insurance wouldn't cover another u/s unless it was medically necessary.

Oh and I have heard that student being called Freddie too so it must be a common NN! Lol

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-08-2011 - 1:19pm
Oh, yes... I could go to one of those places, but money is tight, so I'd rather save the option for (IF)the baby is too shy and doesn't let us see his privates!!!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-09-2011 - 11:40am
Mari- "Freddie"... That cracked me up!

I don't know where my name came from. My mom wanted to name me Zinda (what the...?!) and my dad wanted to name me Eileen. They couldn't agree so they named me Andrea instead. (Andi's a nickname)

When we named the girls I had had Juliette in my head for a long time for a girl and DH liked it immediately. Elia we chose because we loved the name Elijah for a boy and it was the female version. Plus it's not a popular name and I wanted to avoid the top 100. Their middle names are my mother's and DH's mother's names.

And just for the fun of it, I toyed with the idea of naming one of the girls Zinda... ;)
Photobucket