QOTW: 9/11

iVillage Member
QOTW: 9/11
Sun, 09-11-2011 - 7:15pm

Hey Guys, sorry I've been so MIA but I was thinking of everyone today--so much has changed in the last ten years! My thoughts have today been with those who lost someone ten years ago . . . or since then as a result.

Some 9/11 related questions!

Where do you live?

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-14-2011 - 5:09pm

Where do you live?

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-15-2011 - 12:00am

Where do you live?

Powered by CGISpy.com
Thank you Dedi and Kelly for my
iVillage Member
Sat, 09-17-2011 - 3:28pm

Great question, Adrienne! So interesting to read everyone's responses.

Where do you live? (Country, state, be as specific as you want) Large city, Midwest, USA

Where were you on Sep 11th, 2001? Large city, Midwest, USA

How old were you on Sep 11th, 2001 (be as general or specific as you want, hehe)? 22

How did you find out about the Twin Towers--where were you, what were you doing? I was in my room getting ready to head out the door for my commute to my university in the city (I was still living at home then). I had a small tv in my room and always watched the morning news and I yelled out to my parents to come watch the news when I heard about the first plane. Then we watched as the second plane hit and immediately I realized that it was not a coincidence and this was something bigger going on. I still went to school, glued to the radio on the way there, but tv's were on everywhere around campus and the teachers couldn't really concentrate to teach so we just watched the news. Eventually they closed the campus at noon and told everyone to go home. I remember a lot of Middle Eastern students on campus were fearful that people were going to retaliate against them and were rushing home from campus. I was supposed to go to a meet and greet later that day with Michelle Branch as part of a contest I won on the radio but since it was going to be held in one of the tallest buildings in our city (and we were considered a possible second target), it was rescheduled for the following month. I believe all public transit in my city was shutdown as well because I remember giving a friend a ride home from school that day because she normally took the train. I came home and watched the news for the rest of the day. Big mistake. I had nightmares for weeks to come and would sit in class and just feel totally out of it.

Was it a big deal around where you live(d)--were a lot of people effected? Yes. I live in a very large city and we were a possible second target so all of the major tall buildings were evacuated.

How were you affected personally? I had a good friend that worked in Manhattan and was frantically trying to call him on my way to school that morning but couldn't reach him because the lines were down. Thankfully I got a hold of him later that day, he made it out ok

Pages