Manic Monday

Community Leader
Manic Monday
Mon, 07-15-2013 - 12:02am

Seriously, how can it be Monday AGAIN so soon?! How crazy - obviously a conspiracy.

Katie and Danny have been together 10 months tomorrow. Kate dragged me to the Hallmark store to get him a mushy card and the clerk was dressed as a scary witch, green face paint and all. I froze, asked her if Halloween is early this year and she laughed. Apparently they are celebrating the 75th anniversary of the Wizard of Oz. Really? All 6 of us love that movie to this day which is a huge testimony about how it has stood the test of time. There isn't much we all enjoy at the same time, can't believe the movie was made so long ago!

Dave is the only 'munchkin' currently with school in session. He's a good sport although he would prefer not to go at all. They dubbed him with a 'learning disability in reading comprehension' at his IEP meeting (the irony is not lost on me that his mom has already read 66 books this year). On the bright side, they tested his I/Q as normal and assured me his math skills are completely up to grade level or higher which is beyond awesome considering where we started with across the board developmental delays.

Another good thing is that what I was worried was an emerging stuttering problem is not stuttering at all. If a child is repeating whole entire words in a sentence, the speech therapist said it is like they are holding their place while deciding what to say next - think "um" or "like." She said ignore it and it will disappear, phew!

So despite the great news that they will continue Dave's IEP, as well as occupational therapy for fine motor, speech therapy for the stuff he mispronounces (not those repeated words), and small classroom setting for reading time, I will continue to worry my butt off about the "learning disability."That's just my job and lot in life.

http://www.medicinenet.com/learning_disability/article.htm

I do believe the prognosis for Big D will be good since we have early intervention and a good support system. Still I have yet to show all the results to DH... really dreading it. Need to do it before we go on vacation next week though so at least I have a timetable.

What are you doing this week?

Photobucket"
Want to check out my new blog? www.mhannah.typepad.com