Thursday Thrills

Community Leader
Thursday Thrills
Wed, 04-24-2013 - 9:00pm

I'm thrilled at the movements to stop paddling of students in schools in NC and in the US - kind of surprised it is still happening. I was paddled as a 3rd grader in FL for... wait for it... talking in class. Give me a freaking break. This couldn't have been addressed another way?! It was a hard core baptist private school and this was how they handled all first offenses (I have to say that there were few second offenses). There is even a picture of the "board of education" they used to spank the kids in our yearbook - YUCK. Luckily that was the only year I went (my folks never knew about the spanking which was weird too).

I have spanked my kids when they were young and didn't listen to reason, like when Matt ran into the road after I asked him to wait while I got baby Katie out of the car. He was 3 and I wasn't angry, just tried to scare him straight so he would stay alive. Talking in class wasn't "life or death" but I probably learned more than they intended.

Do you think they should "spare the rod" at school or do they need it to keep the children in line?

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/04/23/2844123/ask-mr-dad-spare-the-rod-period.html

Photobucket"
Want to check out my new blog? www.mhannah.typepad.com
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-25-2013 - 5:46pm

I do not believe they should be paddling/spanking in schools.  I do believe they can discipline another way.  Sorry to hear you were paddled in 3rd grade!  My brothers and sister went to a Catholic private grade school and I remember my brother talking about the nuns pulling out the rulers and would smack their hands with the rulers.  Not nice at all!!!!

I have also spanked my kids for the similar things you did, more to place the fear of death into them...for their safety!  I do not make it a practice!

I'm thrilled today that we are starting a warm up here....going to be almost 70 over the weekend!!!!  It's the little things with me...Cool.

Spring Siggy
Community Leader
Fri, 04-26-2013 - 1:15pm

That is fabulous - enjoy the heat wave!!

Photobucket"
Want to check out my new blog? www.mhannah.typepad.com