Tuesday Trivia

Community Leader
Tuesday Trivia
Mon, 04-08-2013 - 5:23pm

Gross! I was hoping the deer ticks wouldn't be so bad this year since we have had so many nights where the temp dipped below freezing. My hopes are now dashed since I just had to remove the first one from Claire already. It was embedded deep in her belly button of all places so not an easy extraction by any means. We're probably going to have to avoid the back yard and the surrounding woods entirely. I'm telling you, someone needs to invent the drops I can put between the kids' shoulder blades like I use on my pets to keep the ticks away from them!

Photobucket"
Want to check out my new blog? www.mhannah.typepad.com
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-09-2013 - 1:18pm

How do you get deer ticks out?  Poor Claire!  And Mom!  Do you have them around all summer or just spring?

Spring Siggy
Community Leader
Tue, 04-09-2013 - 7:21pm

Lost my post twice - TWICE. I am so NOT happy. Last try please.

Summer is the worst. Dave had one on his testicle last year and he freaked out!

Anyway, ignore all the old wives tales and use finetipped tweezers if you have a tick attack. Grab it near the head firmly and pull it out in an upward motion. They won't let go willingly but it's not optional around here.

Now if you're worried about illness, keep the tick in a jar rather than flushing it (they are hard to kill so it's not like you can just toss one in the trashcan - you don't want it to revive and bite someone else! Mark the calendar and keep an eye out for a fever or a weird rash. My BIL was very ill with a tickborne illness and went through a bunch of other tests because he either didn't know or didn't remember the tick bite. Here's a link I hope nobody reading this needs, but just in case...

http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/features/bowdoc/ticks/

Photobucket"
Want to check out my new blog? www.mhannah.typepad.com
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-10-2013 - 5:10pm

Wow...that must have hurt!  Poor Dave...yikes!  Thanks for the info!  Always good to know!

Spring Siggy