Tuesday Trivia

Community Leader
Tuesday Trivia
Tue, 09-17-2013 - 3:44pm

Do you ever get loud transportation noise near your house (from planes, trains, cars, or all 3)?

Photobucket"
Want to check out my new blog? www.mhannah.typepad.com
Community Leader
Wed, 09-18-2013 - 9:46pm

That isn't bad (sleep interruption is bad as you said!), sounds cool with those planes. I grew up very close to MacDill Air Force Base in south Tampa. You and your coworkers might know what kind of large plane it was (I don't recall anymore or even know if they still fly), but those suckers would rattle the windows in our house and conversations were on hold until they passed over us. Didn't think twice about it since it wasn't horribly often and was part of our routine - until family members from out of town were screaming and ducking for cover during a takeoff, they thought it was the end of the world. EEK. I can understand the mistake now. At the time we found it funny. Oh to be young again!

Now things are mostly quiet. We get an occasional noisy airplane from RTP that sounds like it is landing here and isn't, the airport is 20 miles away. We have train tracks that are a mile away, but that whistle seems to be getting closer. Like you said, not close enough to wake or bother a person, but we never forget they are there. Hub's old boss bought a lovely property for a steal that had the tracks in the backyard (they can do it because they don't have children). The train may only go through there twice a day, but it may as well go through the bedroom. IT IS SO LOUD! I don't they got a good deal after all. DH tried to get me to buy in that neighborhood, didn't even say it was because he knew people there, and I shot it out of the water tout suite. Phew!! Can you imagine getting a baby to sleep and having a TRAIN appear to shoot through the nursery, oh my gosh. At least my brother and I were past the nap stage when we moved near the AFB.

Don't get me started on trucks. I live on a dead-end, no-outlet, not even a cul-de-sac street and we still get a bunch of loud trucks (street sweepers, trash, recycling, and who knows what?)

Right now I am wrapping this up listening to a train (with constant horn/whistle or whatever they call it) in the distance and it is 9:43 pm. My windows are closed and I am probably half deaf from growing up near an air force base. I feel for those parents with almost-sleeping babes who live closer; I really do.

Photobucket"
Want to check out my new blog? www.mhannah.typepad.com
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-17-2013 - 4:02pm

We get a little...nothing that keeps me awake at night.  In the summer we get more airplane noise from small airplanes as we are in the pattern for our Pioneer Airport that is open during the summer months.  They fly bi-planes and single engine small planes that can land on a grass strip.

How about you??

Spring Siggy