Tuesday Trivia

Community Leader
Tuesday Trivia
Mon, 07-28-2014 - 10:39pm

Summer is great for kids but can be a challenge for working parents in terms of how to keep them occupied. A single South Carolina mom was recently arrested for letting her 9-year-old daughter play at a nearby park unattended while she worked (her daughter wasn't the only young kid there without supervision, the community was even serving free breakfast and lunch to the munchkins at the park).

How old should a youngster be before they can spend a day on their own like that?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/south-carolina-moms-arrest-over-daughter-alone-in-park-sparks-debate/

Photobucket"
Want to check out my new blog? www.mhannah.typepad.com
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-31-2014 - 10:05am

That's a good question.  I'm getting that more and more from Riley.  He doesn't want to go over to grandma's house in the summer.  I'm still making him go!!  I guess maybe 14 would be a good age....what's your thoughts on that??

Spring Siggy
Community Leader
Thu, 07-31-2014 - 9:14pm

I'd agree with that, although it does depend a lot on each individual child and how mature they are. There are many 13-year-olds who are unattended for a couple of hours after school while waiting for mom and dad with no problem (and other 13-year-olds who would not be able to handle the responsibility). Claire is only 10 and tries to get me to leave her when I'm running errands, but I just look at her and say, "Hop in the van!" Kiss

Photobucket"
Want to check out my new blog? www.mhannah.typepad.com