Wednesday Wondering

Community Leader
Wednesday Wondering
Tue, 11-05-2013 - 11:27pm

Just love losing posts...

The short of it is I got notice it's time for my next colonoscopy. Oh geez. I'm going to wait until after the holidays.

Do you think you'll ever be crazy enough to get a colonoscopy after you've turned 50, especially if it could save your life?

http://www.newsday.com/news/health/report-1-in-3-adults-aren-t-screened-for-colorectal-cancer-1.6387677

Photobucket"
Want to check out my new blog? www.mhannah.typepad.com
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-06-2013 - 3:56pm

I think iVillage is having some major website issues again!!!

I have not had a colonoscopy yet...but yes, I would have one!!  Good idea to wait until after the holidays!  Good luck with it.

Spring Siggy
Community Leader
Thu, 11-07-2013 - 12:11am

I'm already shaking my head. The procedure is perfectly easy because they knock you out, nicely of course. It's the prep or cleanout that isn't fun. I basically turned the kids over to DH and asked everyone to forget I was upstairs until the next morning when it was time to drive me to the surgery center; it was literally the only way.

I am SO SO SO proud of you for saying you'll do it someday. The doc said it's crazy not to since they can remove the scary stuff early before it's a problem and people can live longer better lives.

My brother was advised to go in since our mom and I already had adenomatous polyps removed (increased risk of colon cancer). As a first-degree relative, he is supposed to get screened ASAP but he is afraid. I say since he has 3 kiddos under the age of 9, he should have a colonoscopy 'yesterday' to make sure he's around for them, KWIM? Oh, and did I mention his uncle (my step-uncle but HIS UNCLE by blood and genetics) has already had a large stretch of his colon removed for... you guessed it: colon cancer?

Photobucket"
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-07-2013 - 12:07pm

What is it with MEN....they would rather be scared...then go to a doctor have the procedure that could save their life!!!  I just don't get it.!!

My DH needs to go as well.....He doesn't have a "family" doctor and has never had labs done to have a baseline cholesterol...etc.  I really need to get on him.  I'm pretty sure he'd prefer a male doctor...so that's why I haven't made an appointment for him with mine.  But pretty soon, I'm just going to find him one and set it all up!

Spring Siggy
Community Leader
Thu, 11-07-2013 - 7:45pm

My hubs is in the same situation, no doc, no clue about his actual medical status. UGH! Like you said - MEN!!

Photobucket"