So, I've been planning for a while to send Fede to day care. In fact, it's more a "pre-school" or "kindergarden" if you like. My idea is to send him two or three days a week for 3 hours each time. That would give me some much needed time to run errands, and work when I have a project going on. Also, if I get lucky and get a teaching job, I'd like to have the freedom to take it without worrying about having to find a place in a hurry.
But the main reasons are that I'd like Fede to become more social (he is super clingy to me and DH) and to learn to share and play and entertain himself a little more, before the baby comes next march.
After some research in the area, I think I found the place.
- -The staff is super friendly, and also flexible with the parents' schedule. I can bring him as many times a week as I want, and for as many hours as I need.
- -The price is reasonable.
- -They accept kids in diapers.
- -They have all the cute "kiddy" activities, like gym, music, book reading, and even a cooking class.
- -The building is actually an old house, all they've done is paint some art in the walls and stick posters here and there
- -The toys and furniture is also old and worn. Same with the playground... it has a grass patch and plants, but barely any equipment.
- -They close in early december and start in early february (christmas/summer break)
I can ignore the "old and worn" part of it. I suppose when you have so many kids and toddlers using the place, you would need to charge a lot to keep replacing everything.
What I'm really thinking is if it is reasonable to start now, given that we will have a big break right in the middle of it. Two months is a lot in a toddler's life, and maybe he will forget all about it and then we will have to do it all over. If I wait until next year, do you think a month and a half (between early feb and my due date in mid march) is enought time for a kid to adapt?? I don't want him to go through the change of starting pre-school and getting a sibling all at once.
(Also... how do you get over the ridiculous fears that they will kidnap your child or abuse him in some way???)