My son is only 5, and he was taking Vyvanse, which we were able to open (capsule), and mix into his juice. We have moved out of state, and our new insurance company will not cover Vyvanse, so our new doctor has prescribed Methylphenidate ER, which I understand is just a generic for Ritalin. Well, this is a regular pill, and my son is having problems swallowing it whole. Today is his first day, and I crushed the pill and put it in his juice, before reading the insert that says 'do not crush' and 'swallow whole'. He seems to be doing just fine.
Does anyone know why they say to not crush the pill? Does anyone crush them anyway? And does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to teach a child to swallow pills whole??