Olivia was born at 11:38am on July 19th after over 30 hours of labour. I have been putting off posting her birth story because it was such a traumatic experience for me.
I started timing my contractions at about 5:30am on the 18th. I had been having them for a few hours already, but I was able to get some sleep in between. By 5:30am, they were about 10 minutes apart and I was started to get excited, wondering if this was the real thing. I sent DH off to work, with instructions to keep his cell phone on him and my mom came over at 10:30am to keep me company.
By 4:30pm, the contractions were 3 minutes apart but still only lasting 45-50 seconds each. The hospital had instructed that I wait until they were a full minute long before coming in, but since we had a bridge to cross and it was rush hour, we decided to head that way. I was checked at 5:15 and told I was only 3cm and 25% effaced. This was disappointing as the day before I had already been close to 3cm. The nurse suggested I either have some morphine and go home and rest (no thanks!) or walk around the hospital for a couple of hours. We came back a couple of hours later, with my contractions now two minutes apart and lasting for a minute each. I was 5cm and ready to be admitted!
This is when the trouble started...
It took two hours to put in the IV and epidural. No clue why, but they had a lot of trouble putting them in. The edidural only provided spotty relief, depending on which part of my body I was lying on. I could feel A LOT of pressure in my bum, especially after the doctor broke my water and they turned the ocytocin up to 8.
By midnight, I was still only 5 dilated and the nurse noticed meconium. I came down with a uternine infection that required two rounds of antibiotics. Then, my blood pressure went way down, I developed a fever, and my heart rate went up. I became severely dehydrated and the nurse made me drink apple juice, which did not agree with me at all!
By the time I got to 6 dilated, I had the urge to push and had to clench my butt cheeks with each contraction. When I finally reached 8 dilated, the doctor admitted that Olivia was posterior and that she was going to consult with a team of OBs to see how we should proceed. In the meantime, I had to try different postions to see if she would turn.
By 8am on the 19th, I was complete and in a lot of pain. I asked the nurse if she could turn down the ocytocin, but she said no. The OBs came in and told me I should push for an hour. An hour turned into an hour and a half, and I felt like I was making no progress at all.
Finally, the doctor and an OB came back and offered me two choices: forceps to turn Olivia, followed by an immediate C-section if if didn't work, or a C-section right away. I decided on forceps, so they wheeled me into an operating room filled with about fifteen people, upped the epidural, strapped my arms and legs down, and gave me an episiotomy. DH had to stand near my head the whole time and didn't even get to cut the umbilical cord. After they turned her, Olivia came out five pushes later, with the help of the forceps. I was so exhausted at this point but so relieved not to have a C-section.
Unfortunately, when they upped the epidural, it actually worked this time, so I was unable to feel my legs. I was also severely swollen everywhere, apparently from all of the fluids they had to give me. All I wanted was a shower, but I didn't get to have one until the next day when I given the okay to get out of bed. What an ordeal! I'm so glad it's over!