From Voracious Vander :
The trick here is roasting. Roasting at a high temp in the oven for about 20 minutes can work some serious magic. (Caramelization is always your friend.) Feel free to throw some other veggies in the mix too. Zucchini is my favorite because it takes on seasoning so well – but peppers, sweet potatoes, green beans, etc. can all be transformed in the same way.
Follow these simple steps and you’ll be on your way to making some shockingly delightful savory treats that you can feel awesome about.
1. Preheat oven to 220 C/425 F
2. Cut your veg into 8-cm/3-inch sticks, making sure they are even in thickness.
3. Line a baking tray with baking paper and a light layer of olive oil.
4. SEASON – go with the usual salt&pepper and branch out to one or two of the following (Choose Your Own Adventure-style): paprika, cumin, cayenne, crushed red peppers, thyme, rosemary, sage – really, whatever takes your fancy and suits your meal. Using premixed spice blends is a great option too – Italian, Mexican, Old Bay – you know, just not all at once.
(Today I used salt&pepper + smokey paprika and crushed red peppers.)
Lightly toss your vegetable batons with a tablespoon or so of olive oil (not too much) and the herbs and spices.
5. Spread your seasoned veg over your lined tray and roast, tossing halfway through, for about 20 minutes or until golden and slightly browned at the edges.